HID flywheel diode

nosbig

Registered
I am getting an electrical spike when I dim my high beam. Every time I dim my high beam it turns on my cruise control. I have tried several different diodes and have come to the conclusion that because it's a magnetic solenoid, a regular diode is not fast enough to catch the spike. I know that I will need a MOV (flywheel diode) to catch but I have no idea what size I will need. My voltage meter does not record and the display is to slow. I need someone to please point me in the right direction for selecting the proper diode.

nosbig,
Don't know if this helps or not, but my cruise control was being turned on by my brake modulator. When I installed LED's in the turn signals, I installed a cheap 2-wire brake modulator. It worked great...cost $7. When that particular modulator failed I purchased a different, better quality unit with a ground wire. I found out that the 2-wire unit was causing my cruise to come on, not engage, but come on. Hope this helps you find your gremlin.

Thanks. It is crazy how sensitive the cruise units are to power spikes. My problem is definitely with the solenoids for my high beams. If I unplug them an hit the switch it does not do it. If I put a regular bulb in it does not do it. I hate it when something does not work perfectly and it makes it worse when you know the problem will cost less than a dollar to fix. I just don't know what size MOV I need it fix the problem. I will find out, I have several coming. Then me OCD can chill out and move to the next thing on its list.:laugh:

My first thought was that is to make sure everything has a good solid GROUND. Maybe even take the cruise control ground directly to the battery. Maybe reroute the cruise control wiring if possible.

You mentioned a MOV, do you mean Metal Oxide Varistor?
http://www.varsi.si/mma_bin.php?id=2007012916415869

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried double grounding the headlight and the cruise has been grounded to the battery sence day one. The spike must be going through the entire system. I have even powered the cruise unit to a separate power source and the only difference was I had to leave high beam on longer for it to store enough power to engage it. That was with only coil wire and vss wire still connected to the bike.

Yes a varistor is what I was referring to. The problem with an electromagnetic spike is its to fast for my cheap craftsman voltmeter to catch. If I still had my old fluke meter it wouldn't be a problem because it would record voltage spikes that were to fast for the display to show.

What Hid's are you using?
What style bulbs are you using? Because OEM calls for H7 and H9 for Gen 2, and 9005 for Gen1?
Where is your ground for the cruise control,, What brand cruise is it?

What Hid's are you using?
What style bulbs are you using? Because OEM calls for H7 and H9 for Gen 2, and 9005 for Gen1?
Where is your ground for the cruise control,, What brand cruise is it?

I am using Morimoto fx-r projectors.

They run a D2S bulb in both projectors.

I have a rostra cruise control. It is grounded straight to the battery.

Where s your HID ballast grounded. The HID is most likely the source, so that's the component that will need the best ground.

Where s your HID ballast grounded. The HID is most likely the source, so that's the component that will need the best ground.

The ballast are grounded through the relays that are grounded to the battery.

The high beam does not run through a ballast. High beam is just a solenoid that plugs into the oem high beam plug. The solenoids will work with out the ballasts even plugged in.

I am using Morimoto fx-r projectors.

They run a D2S bulb in both projectors.

I have a rostra cruise control. It is grounded straight to the battery.

I would try a 6amp diode on the grounds of the ballast, also i would put one on the ground of the cruise control. To start

:cheerleader: it is finally fixed. After trying multiple diodes and MOVs, with no luck, I found a fix. I used a 5 pin relay on the high beam solenoids and that seams to do the trick. Hopefully this will help someone else who finds themselves with the same problem.

Thank everyone who gave suggestions.

Back