fusebox access, headlight and tailight disconnect?

TNTom

Registered
Is there a quick/easy/fast way to get to a disconnect for the headlight and tail light? I've searched the manual, forum and YouTube, and haven't found much info at all.

I'm wanting to be able to turn them off while I have them taped over for a track day/class, and go back to street legal quickly. I have all the other mods done and can switch back and forth on those quickly.

I tried getting that panel over the fuse box off without removing any others. I wasn't too forceful, so was it was just a matter of snapping a few more things loose (after the 1 screw and 1 pin)?

Manual says 'remove panel by referring to Front turn signal light section' , the Front TS light section says 'remove lower and upper meter panel by referring to Headlight and position light section', Head light and position light section says 'start by removing the instrument panel'... It doesn't mention the tail light at all.

Please tell me you don't really have to remove the instrument panel just to get to the fuse box?! I saved this step for last because I assumed it'd be a quick fuse pull from under the seat. Any help would be appreciated.

Its located just under the inner dash panel below the left handle bar

Your best bet if you want fast would be to wire up a couple of toggle switches then you just flick a switch.

I agree on the switch idea. Not sure those things (taillight & Headlight) are all on discrete circuits fuse wise.

At the fuse panel you have the break the brown wire on the green conector to kill tail lights and small running lights in the head light. For the head light you have to break the white wire on the white (clear) conector. This will take care of everything but the brake lights. Hope that helps if you go that route

Thanks for the feedback! Once I get in to the fuse box, I'll check out breaking the wires, adding switches, or just pulling the fuses. The tail light might end up being the easy one since I can probably get to it in the tail section.

I'm still needing to know if there's a way to get to the fuse box other than what the manual says about taking off the instrument panel first. Can anyone point me to a resource that I missed, or tell me what has to come off in what order, etc.?

You just need to remove the inner dash panels. Not the cluster, it's just under the dash panel under my left handlebar is this pic.

IMG_0891 (Small) (Small).JPG

The one with the screw in it.
I need to remove all of mine today and will take pics for you.

You could also pull the gauges pull the low beam connector, go under the passenger seat or hump and disconnect the tail lights.

Taking the panels off now, nothing like waiting till the last minute:) I found a thread that sums it up. It is saying to take off the other panels first and shows a couple hidden attachments that are necessary to remove.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/178519-gen-2-upper-fairing-removal.html

If I find an easier way, I'll take some pics and post them.

btw, how is this design acceptable? Isn't the fuse box something we should be able to access on the side of the road?

Taking the panels off now, nothing like waiting till the last minute:) I found a thread that sums it up. It is saying to take off the other panels first and shows a couple hidden attachments that are necessary to remove.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/178519-gen-2-upper-fairing-removal.html

If I find an easier way, I'll take some pics and post them.

btw, how is this design acceptable? Isn't the fuse box something we should be able to access on the side of the road?

I agree the fuse box should be easier to get to. Guess they figure it's a Suzuki it doesn't break down on the side of the road that stuff is for the HD guys.

I agree the fuse box should be easier to get to. Guess they figure it's a Suzuki it doesn't break down on the side of the road that stuff is for the HD guys.

lol, Well I got the headlight with the fuse, and the taillight by disconnecting the wire in the hump. Gave up on the position lights, but that didn't cause any problems. Tape is off now, no sticky mess, and time to put it all back. If I decide to start going to the track regularly, I'm going with the switch on the brown and white wires. Thanks for the info!
I did manage to skip the step that involved "Gut wrenching plastic cracking noise" from the other thread. Once the push pins are out of the top gauge cluster trim piece, you can pull it away enough to get out the last screw holding in the panel over the fusebox. I took a pic, but it was too dark. Here is the panel. You can see the four places it's attached.

WP_20150329_23_44_19_Pro.jpg

Something tells me you did way more work than needed.

You should have had to take out two allen screws, a few push pins and a phillips head self tapping screw. That's it. Easy to do on the side of the road with the factory tool kit. 2 minutes TOPS.

And what track is making you disconnect your lights? Tape them off, sure, but disconnect them? Never heard of that before. :dunno:

ya, now that I know what needs to come off, I could do it fairly quickly.

The tape was required, the fuses were probably just recommended. The reason for it is for me not them, so I don't have to deal with sticky adhesive or melted plastic after all the heat generated by having them taped off all day.

I now have a much better idea of what I'm getting into by taking it to the track. The headlight fuse is really all that's necessary. I saw others that didn't bother with removing their mirrors or license plates, they just taped them off. (not sure why the license plate was taped off, but it was.)

Back