Diy led turn signal

Rhythm

http://www.youtube.com/us
Donating Member
Registered
Not a necessary mod, but will help make you visible at night and lQQks cool too.

Remove the mirrors from the bike. Drill an 1/8" hole on the underside of the mirror housing about 1/2 inch from the mirror. Place the mirror in a oven at 250 degrees for 15 min. Then insert a 2" nail through the 1/8 hole to push the mirror outward from the housing. Dont rush it, the mirror should pop out if the housing has been heated enough.

Etching the mirrors
1. Lay them mirrors on a towel with the backside facing towards you.
2. Apply duct tape to the backside,
3. Apply a stencile guide with the letters facing backwards Shop Now , to make whatever word you want using a marker.
4. Remove the stencil guide after you have completely marked in your choice of word using a dark colored marker.
5.Then cut out the letter using an exacto knife. Shop Now . This will leave the exposed peice of glass that will be ectched using an air eraser
Air Eraser/Etching Kit .
6. Mount a Led strip with some adhedsive and the color your choice to the inside of the mirror housing Now find a way to pass the wire through the housing by drilling or cutting a small orfice for the wire to pass through.
7.Heat the mirror back up just enough to be able to push the mirror back into the mirror housing.
8. With the mirros mounted back on the bike with the wire hanging, attach the Positive side of LED to + side of Turn signal, and Negative side of LED to - side of turn signal..
9. For stock mirrors you can dress it up by using black wire loom to conceal the wire along side of the mirror stem.

Enjoy!

file.php?id=2905&t=1.jpg

file.php?id=2902&mode=view.jpg

file.php?id=2901&mode=view.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah this mod has been around for the past 10yrs. I've done it on my Gen1 and Gen2 busa's. After I did it on the Gen2, I sent the mirrors off to get painted body color by RaceReady.

It's called the Kanji mod. Basically once mirror is out, you do an inverse Kanji on rear of it out of vinyl, cover all parts but the one you want to remove. Sand blast it ($15 harbor freight gun and kid's play sand). Add LED strip or board inside housing and pop mirror back in. :)

SNC18453.jpg

SNC19429.jpg

I take that back, I didn't do it on my Gen2. When I did my Gen1 the mod pretty much died and I think I revived it. I showed someone how I did mine and he started doing it for people on the forum. I'm not sure if he still does, but it's one of my favorite mods for sure. When I got the new bike I asked for his advice to pop the mirror out since I forgot and he offered to do them for me.

Is anyone still doing this mod? If so can you let me know I have a set of pig spotters I would like to get done

I don't believe Joe is doing it still. Search for Kanji mod and you'll likely find his old thread if you want to ask. Pigspotters may be hard, not sure how easy it'd be to get the mirrors out.

Ok thanks for the reply I've had my bike since Xmas eve of 05 and have never had the time to do any mods other then performance and I just bought everything carbon fiber and bought all my lighting mods I've wanted to do for 10 yrs lol this is the one I wanted most and just don't have the patience to do it myself the mirrors would never work also looking for someone to do the GPI mod in the tach not sure if anyone can point me in the right dir I haven't been on here in a few yrs

Back