led headlight mod

hendrixgr

Registered
Hi.
In an effort to save power as my on board electronics are bringing the electrical system to it's knees, i just replaced my headlamp with this one:
"1x New Brand 36W H7 COB LED Kit 3200LM 6000K White Car Fog Driving Headlight 12V | eBay"
and the result is very nice not to mention that it draws only 2.5A.
Much stronger light beam that illuminates everything ahead and with a very uniform pattern so optically the change is very good but i am afraid that reliability cannot be determined without actual road testing.
In any case the difference compared to the stock 55w halogen lamp is huge.
I chose this led lamp because the fan can be unscrewed from the led body thus making installation easier and because it draws about half the
power of the stock halogen lamp.
Some beam adjustment is needed i think but i will be sure tomorrow after i drive some more.
Beware that it is not a direct replacement as a 5 mm or so flange/spacer is needed behind the Led's H7 flange in order to make up for the absence of the plastic adapter which now is used for connecting the Led lamp's H7 plug to the Hayabusa light plug which has wider contact spacing thus it is not a true H7 plug.
Without the thick flange the steel wire clip cannot tightly secure the lamp in place.
Some teflon tape is also needed or better a spacer at the led body threads that are used to attach the fan part of the led lamp assembly.
The fan of the led lamp assembly can only be screwed about half way in without actually pushing the steel wire clip thus unlocking the led lamp, you need something to make the fan screw in tight
using only half the threads.
Unfortunately i didn't took any pictures while installing the lamp...
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:
It still works fine although i drove yesterday in traffic and i think i can say that my Hayabusa got real lights at last.
Driving at night is so much safer not to mention that the bike's head lamp glass temperature feels lower to the touch.
I will update this thread when the led lamp dies which i hope it won't be soon...

We installed one of these on Maps bike a couple of months ago. Like he said, it was not a direct replacment, but works well.

How does it compares to hid and how about the glare problems as with hid without a projector?

Ok i know that you are right so i shall try to remove the panels today or tomorrow and take some pictures.
About the light all i can say is that i will never go back to halogen lamps.
Driving at night is so easier and the light is absolutely white creating a very nice and comfortable feeling.
The pattern is perfectly symmetrical and the high beam is like a candles worth of light compared to the led's beam.
Many people at work already asked me where did i got the lamp because it is so bright and warm that they noticed it immediately.
How does it compares to hid and how about the glare problems as with hid without a projector?
I don't know because i never had hid lights but the pattern is the same as the halogen bulb only stronger and whiter.
I can't see any light in unwanted directions and i can look straight at the bike from 1m without any problem.
To be honest it does throw light above the headlamp's height but it is not that bad like the pictures i saw while searching for "hid glare" in google.
Chris

Ive been using them for years now with Hid kits.
If you dont have one a good rubber grommet works great also as a spacer.

Ive been using them for years now with Hid kits.
If you dont have one a good rubber grommet works great also as a spacer.
He he he, that was i used as a spacer also (rubber cut from a table's surface and sized with scissors) :laugh:
I will ordering those spacers immediately, thank you very much for the info as i never knew that they are available!
Chris

Here are some photos of the end result...
Chris

Snapshot_201412061815.jpg

Snapshot_201412061817.jpg

Snapshot_201412061817 (3).jpg

Snapshot_201412061820.jpg

oh i have 1 from cycle gear and omg it really lights up the night it was a birect fit with alittle rubber trimming its hook to my low and honestly i havent used my hibeam after this install

oh i have 1 from cycle gear and omg it really lights up the night it was a birect fit with alittle rubber trimming its hook to my low and honestly i haven't used my high beam after this install
The same here, the high beam looks so weak...
Looking at my beam in the photo it looks like it is aimed a little upwards, maybe i need to lower the beam a little?
Any links about the led lamp you got?
Chris

Some of them may need one tab cut off. I have bought them from different places, and some are perfect, and some need to be trimmed.
He he he, that was i used as a spacer also (rubber cut from a table's surface and sized with scissors) :laugh:
I will ordering those spacers immediately, thank you very much for the info as i never knew that they are available!
Chris

Some of them may need one tab cut off. I have bought them from different places, and some are perfect, and some need to be trimmed.
No problem, i was expecting that.
It won't be long before someone makes a kit with a Hayabusa specific led lamp or adapter and a suitable rubber boot for weather protection...
Chris

How do you use that spacer?
Hi.
Because the stock hayabusa H7 spacer/adapter cannot be fitted and also must be used as a led's H7 connector/adapter to the wider hayabusa connector, the steel wire that locks the lamp in to place
cannot lock the led lamp any more due to reduced LED's H7 flange thickness.
You must either buy an adapter like those in the link and trim it (it needs some trimming) in order to fit or make a rubber H7 grommet to fit behind the led lamp's h7 flange in order to increase thickness.
Chris

I run a pair of 60W LEDs in my Gen 1. (H7 & 9005) (Ebay title: 2015 New 60W 7600LM Set Cree LED Headlight 30W Bulbs H11 H8 H7 H4 9003 9005 9006 )

They are just like bright ass HIDs. Tons of scatter if you use the standard low beam. I swapped the lowbeam & high beam harnesses to use the high beam projector as my standard light.

They are ridiculously bright and have integrated fans for cooling. The seller rates them @ 7600 Lumen (combined) and I dont doubt it. You'll blind and/or piss off people with them in the standard reflector housing.

Back