Ipod, speakers and amp. anyone want to help me out?

Crazy Carl

Registered
I am looking to put my 8gig Ipod in my tank. I want to know what all I am gonna have to do to get it to play through a couple nice marine speakers or something. If anyone has done this or has any ideas I would love to see and hear them. I am thinking the Ipod will hook into an amp and the amp to the speakers and a charger to the Ipod and the rest is cosmetic. If anyone has some good advise on nice parts that I am looking for please show me that too. Thank you. By the way, first post...

ipod... ear buds... done
or a sansa mp3 player and you can manage your music while the player is in your jacket pocket... that works for me and nothing is hard wired to the bike

Yeah, the Rhythm method will probably get you started.

:rofl:

--Wag--

Thanks alot, I did like the way he installed his speakers, that is the same location I was looking for, but I will not have a sub, just a couple speakers maybe a couple tweeters. Still need advice on the amp ipod combo. I dont know if i can just find an amp that the ipod will plug into without any other equipment, anyone privy to this kinda knowledge?

They make cable that should plug into the Ipod headphone jack, but the other end has RCA connection. The RCA connection would plug into the amp for a input single. Ive seen this several times at bike shows over this past year...not sure how it all works together yet.

They make cable that should plug into the Ipod headphone jack, but the other end has RCA connection. The RCA connection would plug into the amp for a input single. Ive seen this several times at bike shows over this past year...not sure how it all works together yet.

+1, it might look something like this; you just would not use the yellow plug!

IMG_0010 (Small).jpg

IMG_0011 (Small).jpg

you need a mini head phone plug to rca cable....a small 2 channel amp probably no more then 40 watts is all and your speakers....if it where me I would put a jack on the bike where i could plug the iPod into instead of always having a lose cable hanging around even when your not using it...then you can go mini plug to whatever your new jack is...then hard wire from that jack to your amp...there is room up under the nose of the bike for a small amp...a g as you aren't pulling wheelies 9 times a day that is a good location for mounting...can mount it to the plastic under piece and it can easily be removed with the push pins if you need to remove it....also by putting it there you don't have wires running everywhere all over your bike, and your fuse box is right there too...

Last edited:
well i plan to mold the ipod into the top of the tank, nothing will be showing, gonna be alot of metal work. then i will run the power and amp cables under and to some speakers. thanks for all of the advice....

Thanks alot, I did like the way he installed his speakers, that is the same location I was looking for, but I will not have a sub, just a couple speakers maybe a couple tweeters. Still need advice on the amp ipod combo. I dont know if i can just find an amp that the ipod will plug into without any other equipment, anyone privy to this kinda knowledge?

Hey CC, it can be done but it will take some time getting it done correctly. Especially making the speaker enclosures. I didn't have a master plan to go by or kept any of my speaker molds that could have been used for later productions, so you're on you own. I just winged the whole project as it came along and stopped when I was satisfied.

Don't be discouraged,CC. This was my first time doing anything this intensive with fiberglass. Prior, I probably did a few patch jobs here and there using fiberglass. You can do it too with some research,money and a lot of time. I would also suggest to enclose the bottom portion of you front speakers. This will help with the sound pressure level and lock the speaker into place.

Good luck

Oh yeah, to be different I would use your PSP player. Not many use it to its full potential. he he

I went the extra mile and used mine to play copied tv shows,movies, music video I copied from BET or maps before I got my Garmin.

The player (Ipod,psp,mp3 player) can be plugged directly into any amp using a pigtail to rca right and left connectors.

DSC02463.jpg

DSC02462.jpg

DSC02460.jpg

DSC02455.jpg

DSC02458.jpg

DSC02463.jpg

DSC02462.jpg

DSC02460.jpg

DSC02455.jpg

DSC02458.jpg

Last edited:
ipod... ear buds... done
or a sansa mp3 player and you can manage your music while the player is in your jacket pocket... that works for me and nothing is hard wired to the bike

I got some SURE Earphones and an Ipod Remote from Scoche Industries.

Earphones double as earplugs. Super Happy. Also, I shopped around online and found the IR remote for Cheaper than what they list it for.
I velcro'd the remote to the left side of the Top Clamp. Will try to get Pics in the A.M.
Hope this link works. It works out GREAT!!
https://secure.scosche.com/products/sfID1/210/sfID2/324/productID/527:thumbsup::please:

Alright. I misunderstood. Perhaps if you are looking at using an iPod, some of the .02 cents above might work for you to control your iPod. Scosche Industries, RF Remote (steering wheel mount) NO WIRES!!
Function over Form Install on my bike.

IMG_2935.jpg

Hey CC, it can be done but it will take some time getting it done correctly. Especially making the speaker enclosures. I didn't have a master plan to go by or kept any of my speaker molds that could have been used for later productions, so you're on you own. I just winged the whole project as it came along and stopped when I was satisfied.

Don't be discouraged,CC. This was my first time doing anything this intensive with fiberglass. Prior, I probably did a few patch jobs here and there using fiberglass. You can do it too with some research,money and a lot of time. I would also suggest to enclose the bottom portion of you front speakers. This will help with the sound pressure level and lock the speaker into place.

Good luck

Oh yeah, to be different I would use your PSP player. Not many use it to its full potential. he he

I went the extra mile and used mine to play copied tv shows,movies, music video I copied from BET or maps before I got my Garmin.

The player (Ipod,psp,mp3 player) can be plugged directly into any amp using a pigtail to rca right and left connectors.

DSC02463.jpg

DSC02462.jpg

DSC02460.jpg

DSC02455.jpg

DSC02458.jpg

Help Help---I see you have GPS on your PSP I tryed an tryed to find a way to get this to work on my psp for the longest time , I have this same set up on my bike that I got from you (SWEET), and all my friend think I have the badest busa on the planted....

DSC02463.jpg

DSC02462.jpg

DSC02460.jpg

DSC02455.jpg

DSC02458.jpg

I am looking to put my 8gig Ipod in my tank. I want to know what all I am gonna have to do to get it to play through a couple nice marine speakers or something. If anyone has done this or has any ideas I would love to see and hear them. I am thinking the Ipod will hook into an amp and the amp to the speakers and a charger to the Ipod and the rest is cosmetic. If anyone has some good advise on nice parts that I am looking for please show me that too. Thank you. By the way, first post...

Check out what i did to mine for some tips. I used 4" speakers and mounted the amp underneath the gas tank. used rca into headphone jack for my ipod. Works good. can hear fine up to about 70 without a helmet and up to about 90 or so with a helmet on. Also have a 7" widescreen TV monitor cut into the gas tank that i have my navi and rearview camera hooked up to. as well as movies and music videos to play when i park it to show off the features. Let me know if you need help with anything

MKDesignstx.com

MKBusa:
First off, nice bike. You said that those are 4" speakers in your fairings...are the fairing panels the stock ones or did you modify them? I am thinking about putting some speakers in the same place and I am hoping that it is a straight drop with just a little cutting for the hole. Unfortunately, I am deployed right now so I don't have the panels at my immediate disposal to reference size. I just bought the bike and am trying to brainstorm ideas for mods/upgrades for when I get home. Thanks for the info.

Back