From a 1397 to 1441

Blackmax

Registered
GenI 1397 Bike is getting a Gen2 crank ballanced and polished so 1441 , New rods , HD output shaft , do you guys think it will be way off on my maps and need to get re tuned for pump/ race gas ?
Bike was a Carpenter Full port and cams 1397

the motor would run lean Id imagine, since it would displace more but fuel would remain the same if not tuned again

-D

Yeah that kinda what i was thinking , but my builder seems to think that it will not be a problem

Sorry, I disagree. Maybe if your builder was a tuner, he would give you better advice. Not getting your new combination custom mapped - by somebody who knows what he is doing - is a mistake. Don't take that kind of risk on your investment, make sure it is right. A good custom map will not only give you the most gains, but also peace of mind - the changes you made to your motor were extreme, you shouldn't take chances, IMHO . . .:whistle:

Sorry, I disagree. Maybe if your builder was a tuner, he would give you better advice. Not getting your new combination custom mapped - by somebody who knows what he is doing - is a mistake. Don't take that kind of risk on your investment, make sure it is right. A good custom map will not only give you the most gains, but also peace of mind - the changes you made to your motor were extreme, you shouldn't take chances, IMHO . . .:whistle:

I get ya Frank , My builder Is one of the best and I do trust him , its not like he said dont get it mapped just said he really thought my maps would be fine and not that far off since the extra cc are coming from the stroke not a bore , There are no real tuners that I trust around me anymore . The last tune I went out to Mike at SAE and he did a great job but it's a 1 3/4 ride with no traffic and so many roads are no trailers :( The amount of money I have spent on tunes over the years for my bikes is crazy but did see gains every time. I need a tune for race gas and pump tuned with both pc3 and ecu and it's hard to find a shop that will tweek with both . The 1397 liked 1 degree of timeing added all the way up and 1 1/2 around the top . My options by Me here are Jeff at Action Cycle who I spent $800 on a map for e85 that never worked , or Ivan's who just is not a personable guy . If I was to drive far its one of those I would like it done while I wait. I hate to drive 2hrs each way 4 times

I get ya Frank , My builder Is one of the best and I do trust him , its not like he said dont get it mapped just said he really thought my maps would be fine and not that far off since the extra cc are coming from the stroke not a bore , There are no real tuners that I trust around me anymore . The last tune I went out to Mike at SAE and he did a great job but it's a 1 3/4 ride with no traffic and so many roads are no trailers :( The amount of money I have spent on tunes over the years for my bikes is crazy but did see gains every time. I need a tune for race gas and pump tuned with both pc3 and ecu and it's hard to find a shop that will tweek with both . The 1397 liked 1 degree of timeing added all the way up and 1 1/2 around the top . My options by Me here are Jeff at Action Cycle who I spent $800 on a map for e85 that never worked , or Ivan's who just is not a personable guy . If I was to drive far its one of those I would like it done while I wait. I hate to drive 2hrs each way 4 times

The "drive through dyno", or dyno while you wait, is a situation we've made accommodations for in the past, it's the reason I put a video camera in the dyno room - customers could watch while they sat in my showroom. Bottom line I think is to get that bike to someone you trust and finish it right.

The "drive through dyno", or dyno while you wait, is a situation we've made accommodations for in the past, it's the reason I put a video camera in the dyno room - customers could watch while they sat in my showroom. Bottom line I think is to get that bike to someone you trust and finish it right.

Thank you It's good to know you offer this and will talk to you when my bike comes back home :)

1:45 is a long ride? bro I make that same ride to Powerhouse from CT at least 5-10 times a year and I ride there. there are thousand of ppl who are no closer then 10-15 hours and FAR longer to the nearest turner. $800 for an E85 tune? remind me to never go there.

1:45 is a long ride? bro I make that same ride to Powerhouse from CT at least 5-10 times a year and I ride there. there are thousand of ppl who are no closer then 10-15 hours and FAR longer to the nearest turner. $800 for an E85 tune? remind me to never go there.
Brett the 1:45 was dead early in the AM no traffic LOL . I run my own company and as the guy who does all the work 3 1/2hr stuck on the L.I.E towing a bike SUCKS!!!!!!!!! when I have jobs to do . Oh yeah $800 on a map that never happened , I told them that the bike would run out of injector and it did , but that was after a blown fuel pump and all the other **** they charged for, Then tax ! It was more than $400 in labor alone ! a $100 just to change out the fuel pump. Problem with some shops is hour rate adds up on **** you or I can do at home but your bike is there

Yea that drive isn't too bad. I have a 2 1/2 drive to the nearest tuner I trust. I have already been there 2 times this year and I haven't even taken my bike there yet. Screw $800 for an e85 tune. I will be paying $500 for my stage 1 turbo tune.

..... nothing wrong with E85 IF you know what you are doing and it doesnt sound like they knew what they were doing... stock system isnt even close to running E85... makes turbo's happy though...

..... nothing wrong with E85 IF you know what you are doing and it doesnt sound like they knew what they were doing... stock system isnt even close to running E85... makes turbo's happy though...
Thats what i said from the start that it would run out of injector at the top and it did , but in the long run Im glad I did not go the E85 root , A guy I know runs a NA bike on that and gets like 60miles to a tank

Its cost effective but does not give you the miles per tank for sure... Doing it on my race bike but its a completely different world - 1/4 mile at a time..

Its cost effective but does not give you the miles per tank for sure... Doing it on my race bike but its a completely different world - 1/4 mile at a time..

Thats what I was doing it for to avoid having to buy race gas in a 5gl can thats shelf life is so low, at the cost of E85 it would have saved $$$ and gained about the same amount of HP

Sounds like your guy doesn't really know what he's doing. I'd take my bike to another shop to be built if he's saying that about the map. That's basic basic stuff...and to give that kind of advice is just wrong. If Frank is close I would talk with him about building/tuning your bike and making it right. Hate to say it but sounds like you are just going to keep wasting money if you keep going to the same kind of shops. $800 to pull some BS like that is just WRONG. :cussing:

I'm about 3-hours from Johnny Cheese and can't be more thankful that he's that close. I gladly drive to him to make sure things are done correctly the FIRST time... :beerchug:

Sounds like your guy doesn't really know what he's doing. I'd take my bike to another shop to be built if he's saying that about the map. That's basic basic stuff...and to give that kind of advice is just wrong. If Frank is close I would talk with him about building/tuning your bike and making it right. Hate to say it but sounds like you are just going to keep wasting money if you keep going to the same kind of shops. $800 to pull some BS like that is just WRONG. :cussing:

I'm about 3-hours from Johnny Cheese and can't be more thankful that he's that close. I gladly drive to him to make sure things are done correctly the FIRST time... :beerchug:

Wait you did not read the post from the start , My builder has made the fastest bikes in the world and I trust him ! not to post names but one went 311mph :) we were talking about tuning shops around me and how one "tuner" ripped me off on a tune on another bike , My new build I was told the maps from my 1397 same big cams just rods and a gen2 crank would be close and I could use them , But I was not told they were spot on . I was just trying to gauge the feeling about a tune and where to go now since I have tryed alot of guys and some suck and some are great and some have time issues that you really need to work around and that can be a major pain in the Ass

Wasn't Bill his own builder and tuner? I know he had his own dyno so.....

Bill was a dear friend. He Logged everything and used that info to adjust yes he had a dyno but "Steve Knecum" was his prime motor builder and mine after he left Carpenter . Bill and I were both in the tropical fish bizz and started with the old Vmax so we went years back before he got the LSR in his blood

Back