Heartland Park Topeka Track Day 07/12/14

Salty

Registered
So I finally did it and took my Hayabusa to Heartland Park Topeka (Kansas) and did a track day.
I had an amazing experience and really felt the experience was worth it's wait in gold.

Being able to ride my motorcycle on a track following much more experienced control riders to learn the lines, learn proper braking techniques, work with a friend that owns a local shop to adjust my suspension properly for my weight (setting the sag/rebound/compression).

Having the control riders follow me around the track then meeting with me after each session to coach me on technique, corner entry, braking, lean angles and the thing I learned the absolute most from (turning my head further around the corner) taught me more about riding than I have probably learned in the last decade on the streets.

I am very thankful for having the opportunity to do a track day, I am absolutely sold on this experience and cannot wait for the next track day weekend on Aug 10th-11th where I will take the track day school on Monday the 11th to continue to practice proper techniques such as braking, corner entry and exit speeds, lean angles and body position.

I highly recommend the experience to anyone who has thought about it. Also the looks you get rolling onto the track on a Hayabusa are priceless, the comments you get after the session of "wow those things can actually turn" from those same gawkers are worth their weight in gold...

I did not get my knee down this track day session and am not even worried about it, I was lucky enough to receive a few pics from a gentleman that was taking photos at the track that weekend to share.

TrackDay1.jpg

TrackDay2.jpg

TrackDay3.jpg

Good for you! Happy to see you had a good experience. Maybe you will be an inspiration for others to pull the track trigger!:beerchug:

I think my son, GSXtacy, and some of his friends are bringing their track bikes down for that track day. I'm going to try and make it too.

I think my son, GSXtacy, and some of his friends are bringing their track bikes down for that track day. I'm going to try and make it too.

I'll see what I can do about getting out there. The GIXR needs the forks rebuilt, so I'll be there with Luci if I can make it. Is there a like to get signed up?

Careful - forget about having any spare cash cause you are about to spend it in tires, brakes and trackday fees :)

Told you it is a freakin BLAST!! Congrats and welcome to the madness!

Don't think you'll see a knee down right off the bat (until your body position improves); I didn't tap my knee on my busa for about the first year - unless you are waay more off the bike, you'd tap hard parts first...baby steps...

More importantly on the busa is finding the correct brake markers, because if you are braking when the lighter bikes are, you could find yourself in a pickle really quick. But if you want to see some REAL Busa riding on that track, ask to see the "Ultimate Uncle Steve Flying Busa" pic....

I'll see what I can do about getting out there. The GIXR needs the forks rebuilt, so I'll be there with Luci if I can make it. Is there a like to get signed up?

If you need a ticket let me know. I'm going to check out the ticket situation for Chris. I'm trying to get semi to come over for the weekend too. You know you always have a place to stay with Mary and I if you need it.

If you need a ticket let me know. I'm going to check out the ticket situation for Chris. I'm trying to get semi to come over for the weekend too. You know you always have a place to stay with Mary and I if you need it.

i'm in and you sure didn't have to twist my arm very much :laugh:

My son GSXtacy and his pals will be down on Thursday night. I live north of the river if you would like to get together sometime before Sunday. Do you ride your bike to the track or trailer it?

I am north of the river too, PM Coming.

Back