Help with year of engine and starter clutch

Sonicbusa

Registered
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I am new to the board and the busa world and need a little help. I just aquired a sand rail with a busa engine and have a couple of questions:
1. Can anyone tell me the year of the engine? The markings on the back of the crankcase are W701-127952. I know what the W701 means from internet research, but the rest is still a mystery. The car is a 2004, so I ASSume the engine is 2003 or older.
2. First trip out last weekend I broke the starter clutch gear. Does anyone have one? I hear there is a difference between '99-'02 and '03- and on, can anyone give me guidance.
3. The car runs great at full throttle and never misses a beat, however, at partial throttle it runs very rough, it isn't until I am giving it throttle it starts to "clean up" and make smooth power. Basically if I am cruising around at a steady RPM (3000-6000) the engine runs real rough and sounds more like a lawnmower than a rocket that it is at WOT.

The car does NOT have a power commander (which I need to learn more about the advantages of) (being an old holley carb guy that I am), I changed the plugs and ran a bottle of Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner through it. I do not know alot about fuel injection, but am very mechanically inclined (just used to working on big block chevys). If it were a carb I would be looking at the idle circuit because it seems that the accelerator pump clears up the problem and full throttle is great.

Anyway, I will keep reviewing the board, but any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Back