Bent rim god@#$%&!!!!

swimmer7946

Registered
I was working on one of my winter projects (polishing the outside of the rims) when I noticed that my front rim is a bit outta round....well after a few explicative filled minutes, I calmed down and started figuring out how to solve the problem. I never noticed it while riding last season, so i'm wondering how bad it really is. Its just the lip of the rim, everything else seems straight. Can these be bent back straight? Am I better off checking FleaBay? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I have had experience with alloy car rims and sometimes they can be bent back into shape and/or repaired.
I would find a really good wheel shop and see what they can do for you.
Don't toss it without checking.

Swimmer, the last time I bent a rim (killer pothole), took it to my local frame shop who also worked on motorcycles, and was told as long as there is no crack in the rim, they can straighten & true it. Mine did have a crack in it so I was screwed.

We have bent one rim on all the Pashnit Tours through the years. It was a rental BMW, he hit the pothole so hard, it instantly deflated the front and dented the rear for good measure. That was the 1st day of the tour, he'd come a long way- all the way from Canada. We were in the middle of nowhere. What to do.'

Ended up finding a farm supply place, borrowed a 20lb sledgehamer and a 4x4, and we pounded the bent front rim back into place. It was so hard, we had to take turns pounding. :laugh: Filled it with air and it held. He finished the tour on that rim, and was told the rental place had to toss both rims when he got back. Something like $1500.

Thing is has anyone used them :poke:

Yes i have used them! If your polishing the wheels, thats great cause sometimes while they are straightening the wheel they need to heat it! If your not polishing them then ebay might be a better route!

McWheel does excellent work, i would highly reccommend them to anyone!

Thing is has anyone used them :poke:

Yes I have used them and they do great work. If you buy off of Ebay you can get another damaged wheel (lots of ripoffs on Ebay). Try to find one locally (check craigslist). MCwheel is charging $100 to straighten a wheel. Unless you can find one for that price I would send my wheel in to be straightened.

Back