Radiator Fan

Kaldari

Registered
My radiator fan isn't turning on and thus causing the bike to overheat when still. I need an easy way to test the fan itself so I know if it's the motor or something else like a sensor or relay.

I'm not an expert at this stuff, so I just started doing some Googling to find something I can do. I have a voltmeter, but I can't get in to the leads on the motor without removing the radiator. I tried putting the voltmeter leads into the little connector that runs from the fan to the left side of teh bike, but I didn't turn up anything.

One idea I came up with is taking the fan control relay out and bridging the connections. This should make the fan kick on regardless of temp, right?

Please correct me if I'm wrong and any ideas are welcome.

In the upper left corner of the radiator is the thermal switch that controls the fan, you can
un plug it and jump the wires...the fan should come on when you do this :beerchug:

In the upper left corner of the radiator is the thermal switch that controls the fan, you can
un plug it and jump the wires...the fan should come on when you do this :beerchug:

When you do this, make sure you have the key in the on position...

This is the temp sensor, the plug is cover by the boot, slide the boot up, unconnect the plug and jumper the two wires together inside the plug...

DSC09355-1.jpg

Yeah, I figured that's what he was talking about, but I cannot for the life of me get the connector to slide off of the thermo-switch. Is there a trick to it?

Just squeez the top little tab thingie and pull, you may want to push a little then pull...

Push on the top towards the rear of the connector where the wires come out... should pull right off...

I connected the two sides and viola, the fan came right on.

So am I to assume that sensor is bad or could it be something else?

One last question. I changed the coolant earlier today (the fan stopped working before today), and I notice that the manual says I should drain the cooling system before I unscrew the thermal switch. Since it's at the top of the radiator, would it be possible to just disconnect the wiring, unscrew the switch, and let whatever is above the switch drain out, screw the new switch in, and just top the coolant off?

I guess worst case I can drain it into a container and reuse it.

I just hate to waste $50 worth of engine ice. =\

I would order the new switch, have it on hand, and just do a quick swap out and expect to lose some coolant along the way. I am not sure if you need to put any thread stuff on to make sure it doesn't leak, but I would give that a try and see if it's water tight. If not, then drain it down...

Make sure you dont have an air bubble, in the system, if you do the fan will not work!

Make sure you dont have an air bubble, in the system, if you do the fan will not work!

He did state that the fan quit working prior to changing the coolant. But I like the way you think (wait, I take that back...)

Yeah, I bled the system as well as I could. Rocked it back and forth, topped it off after it warmed up and cooled down a few times.

On that same note though, I noticed that the .pdf manual I got doesn't mention anything about a bleeder valve on the pump. Did they not add them until later models, or?

Are there any other bleeding techniques you guys recommend to ensure all the air is out? I read a little something about squeezing the hoses. I squeezed them a few times, but I'm not really sure. lol

Last edited:
Back