idle problem

rolandag2

Registered
If I start my bike in the morning it will not idle unless i adjust the idle control lever by the left grip. Once, I let warm up it still feels like it wants to die and it will not run real good unless I crack the throttle a little. The bike sat up for a while so the miles are kind of low and I'm unsure if that has anything to do with it. I need to replace plugs and maybe check valve adjustment but any other help would be gratefully appreciated

BTW it has 3k and its 05

That idle control you speak of is really a choke.
Cuts off some air and lets it run richer until it warms up.
Mine doesn't run perfect until I drive it a bit, even if it is warmed up.
Not far, 2 or 3 minutes, but it needs to be nice and warm to work best.

Sound like you idle is too low, do as suggested above. Not to disagree with you Mike, but I dont think a fuel injected throttle body has a choke. Dont confuse me!:laugh:

That idle control you speak of is really a choke.
Cuts off some air and lets it run richer until it warms up.

This is completely inaccurate. The first Gen Busa does not have a choke because it is fuel injected. It is a "Fast Idle" Lever. There is no choke on the bike at all. The fast idle lever is connected to the same mechanism as the thottle cable. It is a VERY COMMON thing for the busa's idle to retard over time probably due to vibration on the idle set screw. Most people (including myself) adjust the idle to the proper range (1150-1250RPM's) and then put a dab of loc-tite on the idle set screw. I havent had to readjust mine in over a year.

I hear what you are saying.
The manual calls it a "choke" (See pic)
I have low pressure on idle.
I raised my idle via the idle adjustment screw to 1450 rpm, which gave me lots more pressure.
I can also raise the idle by my Throttlemeister on start-up.
If I use the "choke" to raise the idle, the engine behaves differently than if I do it with the throttle adjustment screw or the Throttlemeister.
I realize that there is not a butterfly valve in the injector stacks for the “choke” as on a carburetor setup.
There must be something else involved, because to use the “choke” lever to just raise the idle rpm causes the engine to run erratic, as if too rich when it is warm?
I will check further as to exactly what it does, but if anyone knows, please help us understand it.
Thanks !

Scan10015_edited.jpg

An '05 with 3,000 miles shouldn't need new plugs or a valve adjustment. According to the manual, the idle at operating temperature should be 1,150 rpm +/- 100 rpm (CA bikes +/- 50 rpm), and when fully engaged, the "fast idle" (again, at operating temperature) should make bike run at 3,500 rpm.

Back