Fuel pump going out blow fuses?

99'busa

Donating Member
Registered
Well a week ago my bike died right after I started it and wouldn't even crank over again and was throwing a FI code (relay).....changed the relay and still wouldn't start....chked fuse and it was blown....chg fuse and all is good.

Well it died again a few days later but this time it would at least try to turn over and WAS throwing a FI code again and blew the fuse again. I chang fuse again and again all is good. (dont know what the code was this time cause I chged the fuse b4 finding out the code)

Now it did it again but this time when chging fuse it still only cranks over and trys to fire but acts like it has no fuel. After chnging fuse this time I listen for pump to cycle and it does NOT.

Would a fuel pump going out blow fuses like this?

I would think a fuel pump would do two things.

Work.

Don't work.

Sounds like a short somewhere.

r8

fuel pump is an electric motor/vein-rotor pump and could draw to many amps and blow a fuse, could be trying to turn and shorting out because it`s bad. i thought that year was famous for fuel pumps going bad?? i`d get a meter on it and see what it`s drawing...if you don`t have a meter you could unplug the pump and put a new fuse in and turn it on/ crank it and see if it still blows?? BTW i like the new paint job.:thumbsup:

thanks man. i did put a new fuse in and it blow it right away while i was cranking it over
Posted via Mobile Device

I just read the manual page obout the fuel pump and I think that Supergank1 may be on to something...good luck :)

:bump: for a fellow ho!

Hope you get the problem solved and you are back riding quickly!

is it a stock/OE fuel pump?
Is something else tapped into the same wirring and drawing power (accesories)?

If everything is stock you should be blowing fuses. By replacing the fuse each time it blows you're not solving anything. Check the wirring. Maybe something is shorting?

im having the same problem with a 2000 model, installed a 15 a fuse for testing purposes it didnt blow but still no fuel and the pump is getting hot but not working so ive decided its time for a new pump.have you fixed yours, if so was it the pump

chris, just pull the plug on the pump... replace fuse, spin it over.. see if fuse blows.. that will tell you yea/nay on pump..

just call me if you want

Back