Help! wont start...

SNakez9

Registered
Hi All,

I have A 2000 Busa with kust over 5k miles on it. I was riding today...after about 15 mins or so my bike just shut off and lot power in the middle of the road. I pulled it into the nearest parking lot..checked all my connections..and it would power up..when i went to crank it..it turned off. There was no warning f1 lights when it turned on. I tried a jump from a car and that did not help...now when I got to turn it on it has no power at all...nothing. Its currently sitting in a parking lot unwatched untill I can get off of work.

what kind of mods have you done?
I see you were typing this fast so I'm not sure exactly what happend.

The engine died while ridding.
You had power but it wouldn't run (did the starter kick over? did the fuel pump prime? It couldn't hold an idle?).
After the attempted jump you now have no pwer at all (would the rpm dial reset when you turned the key or nothing at all was happening?).

I would say to check the battery for voltage. Check the fuse box for any blown fuses. Make the bike is in neutral. Make sure kill switch is set to run.

I have not done any engine mods to it. When it was turning on, but not starting the gauges were resetting and doing their normal thing. Before I left it to get back to work I would turn the key and nothing would happen at all...no clock..no lights..no noises at all. I made sure it was in N when I was testing, and the kill switch is not on. When I get it home ill check the battery voltage..what other tests can I do if this checks out?

Check to make sure the cut off switch at the kickstand is not engaged.

I would also check the battery pretty closely (cables and connections first)... sounds like it may have shorted itself out internally... (no power at all correct?)

My bike did the same once, while i was in the middle of riding, no lights would come on, gauges didn't work, but i was able to finally get it restarted until i got to a gas station..had to disconnect/reconnect the battery cables..then everything reset and it worked normal. Did you let the bike get too hot while riding? possibly while in stalled traffic??

yep, no power at all. the cables seems to have a real solid connection to the battery, and it was not running hot when it turned off.

need to find out if the battery is alive... (and a coat hanger between the posts IS NOT the correct method) :rofl:

If that is ok, I think there is a single wire that plugs in off the harness back there that powers everything up? I will have to look at mine tonight (it is torn apart right now)

Ok, I found out that it is my battery not holding a good charge. I knew I wouldnt be able to sleep leaving my bike in a parking lot overnight, so i took the battery home and gave it the best charge i could. I took the charged battery to it...stuck it in..and it fierd right up. I made it to within 2 miles of my house, then it decided to die again. It was getting late so no one could help me take it home....so im now officially part of the " Pushed my bike 2 miles home" club. Needless to say im all kinds of sore thismorning. Ill be getting a new battery for it today....and drop kicking the old one office space style!

Last edited:
You probably need to buy a new battery. When I had somewhat of the same problem, it was originally due to a bad cable, but after jumping it with a car, it sent too many amps through the battery and the battery would never hold a good charge afterwards. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but these batteries can't take too much amperage before frying.

after you get the new battery in the bike, you may want to check the charging system with a voltmeter to make sure you have adequate charging voltages (13.5 or so)

Back