need help

cw344707

Registered
i have a 2000 busa and i took apart the fuel pump assembly and removed the screens and filter, thinking i could put an inline filter before the pump assembly and that it shouldnt change much. so i did this and put it all back together tryd to start it and it wont start, it cranks like crazy sounds like its going to start and just wont hold an idle, i checked all the lines and they are all right, no kinks. the inline filter is the right way, just incase. i replaced the orings on the inside of the pump and made sure to put it back together properly, the pump sounds great wen u turn the bike on. maybe someone wiht alittle more experience can help me solve the problem. any help is appreciated

you might want to make sure you did not knock off a vacuum line..

if idle is the only issue, I would doubt the pump is at fault.. an air leak might be however..

ive went through all of the lines i cant find anything missing, also i took off the airbox and took out the spark plugs cause i was thinking this was the problem, so i took the plugs out cleaned them up(there fairly new about a month old), is it alright to have an inline filter before the pump??

I am not a fan of "pre-pump" filters as they are way more likely to cause flow issues when moderately plugged..

But I am not sure why it would cause an idle problem and run fine off idle.. (it is late)

if the idle is just low, you may want to just try cranking the idle screw up a bit.. just not making sense how it would have changed when you were fooling around with the pump... (also make sure the air temp sensor is plugged in on the air box)

no i cant get the bike to run at all right now, it wants to idle but it wont. the idle is set right and i checked all the plugs again and there all right, im thinking im gonna need to take the pump apart again and double check everything, also thinking maybe buying a filter and just replacing the filter is a good idea, [utting the screen back in and seeing if it works that way, really dont know wat could have caused this tho, ( one good question, those 2 lines coming off of the back of the tank that just kinda end, i accidently broke one trying to take it off, could this be the problem, its just taped back together right now ???

well sounds as if maybe you are not getting fuel to the motor then?

are you saying you "cut" the screen on the pickup to the pump? (bad idea, any piece of junk can get to pump and "lock" it up) If so, it needs replaced..

Sounds like it is time to backup, pull it back apart and look at the stuff you touched.. (if you see nothing, i would probably remove the filter you added)

The 2 lines off the back of the tank? guessing those are drains from the fill neck? (never had the tank off one of these bikes) if so, not a big deal but I would look where any spilled gas is going to end up.. (fix it)

Back