vibration in lower rpms (2000-6000)

slugsgomoo

Registered
I'm getting some odd vibration and I haven't seen anything in threads I searched for that matches exactly.

I got the bike with 13,300 on it back in june, and it's got about 16,300 on it now (2005 LE). When I was first riding, it was always smooth as silk, but it's grown this vibration issue that is really, really damn annoying. enough that if you hit it right in its peak vibration-y range your feet will go numb just from the pegs vibrating after a few minutes.
rofl.gif

I did an oil change around 15,400 to Shell Rotella T synthetic on the advice of some friends who use it in their bikes (busas and others) and some searching that suggested it was a good oil- and it seemed awesome, in fact the vibration thing happened ~750-800 miles after the change so I'm not 100% convinced that it's the issue.

I did have an issue with chain adjustment so I adjusted that properly and that did make one of my symptoms go away, but not the main vibration issue. I also just put on a new set of bridgestone BT-021's because the 056's were toast. Aside from a bit less road noise, i can't really tell a huge difference yet (but i've not totally scrubbed them and it's been raining up here in the PNW).

I'm wondering if now that i'm at 16k if a valve adjust or new plugs or some other bit of tune-up would have an effect on this vibration, or if I should just change the oil again and see how that affects the bike?

Unfortunately I don't have an owners manual or anything like that so I can't even look up all the scheduled crap for the bike. :whistle:

Anyone who's been here and can point me in the right direction, I'd much appreciate it.

Have you taken a look at cush drive rubbers?

Link to stronger than stock set-http://www.boostbysmith.com/cush.html

No, in fact embarrassingly enough I don't even know what those are for. My mechanical know how all resides in 4 wheeled mitsu powered crap-boxes. ;)

It's not like i'm drag racing or making power though, the bike is bone stock and most of my riding is just hitting up backroads or commuting.
dunno.gif

it just seems odd that the vibration would start all of a sudden. I mean, I was out on a ~200 mile ride one day a week or two ago, and it was all good, and then it just started doing the vibration. Super disconcerting, honestly.

I'm not saying the cush drive rubbers are 100% going to solve your problem, as I have not been on the bike in person, but from what you have descibed and done to solve the problem, it sounds like these rubbers are the solution to your problem. These are a regular wear item that go bad all the time for busa riders. Actually, I'm suprised they lasted that long. Suzuki sells them for considerably less than aftermarket rubbers, they just aren't as strong. These rubbers are very easy to install. Good luck with your fix!

Last edited:
I'm guessing those might help, but i'm very doubtful they're the root of my problem. Did some research and it appears they are installed in the hub of the rear wheel?

While I do get the vibration at speed, it is also noticeable in neutral while stopped, both with the clutch engaged & disengaged. Clutch is a bit noisy, but it doesn't seem to slip and has a good friction area from my perspective.

Definitely a bit stymied.

Back