Fan won't kick in??

HayaPete

Registered
So I've recently gotten this 03 Busa and have been riding it almost everyday with the temperature gauge usually reading midway, just at/slightly below the bold line mark. The weather has started to get quite a bit warmer and while sitting in heavy traffic I noticed the temp gauge starting to climb above the bold dash and getting close to the red. The temp light never came on, but it was really close to the red. No fan. I checked the fuse and it was good. Before I start tearing things apart to troubleshoot, are there known areas/parts I should start my troubleshooting at? Any tech walkthroughs already typed up? (I have yet to wander through this massive forum!) Any help is greatly appreciated.

A little below half to a little above half is about the usual temp range. It just might not be getting hot enough to turn on the fans. Ride it to get it up to temp and then in the garage at home let it run, giving it a little throttle to try and bring the temp well up and see if the fans will cycle. Don't over heat it and shut it down if it goes past 3/4 on the gauge. Jumper some power and ground wires directly to the fan just to make sure they spin. Then possibly look for a bad coolant temp sensor. These are just basic wiring diagnostics but others might know more

Like BD said, check to verify the conditions and if the fan doesn't kick on check the temp sensor.

I had that issue once. The plug on the left side that connects the temp sensot to the wire harness looked connected but it really wasn't, pull the left side fairing really make sure that this plug is connected (maybee check it with a volt meter if your really concerned) then try the fan again. After that everything everyone else said. good luck

My 02 did it last year it was the switch that screws into the rad on the left side, you can check the fan by pulling the connection off the switch and jump the two wires with the key on

Back