Tac goes to 0

gaetano

Registered
This just happened on my way to work. I was doing about 20 out of my development and suddenly my tac dropped right to 0. It was not a gradual drop but almost like I hit the speed cap on the bike and it went straight to 0. I also lost all throttle play. I could hit the throttle and no gas. After the speed dropped about 5-10 mph I gained normal functionality back. I thought I just didn't let it warm up enough so I kept going and then it happened a second time when I got on the highway at around 80 mph. Same thing happened, I dropped to 0, pulled in the clutch and let the speed come down and then I got my functionality back. Has this ever happened to anyone? It is a 02 busa with about 17000 miles on it. I have owned it since day 1. Any advise is appreciated.

Gotcha.. I'm also thinking something might be touching the frame and shorting out, but not sure if that makes sense or not... I hate these mysterious issues.

This is a problem that will be hard to solve without time in front of the bike. You're on the right track. Get a wiring diagram and check all your grounds, starting at ecu common ground and working out. Take a look at the wiring diagram, starting at the instrument cluster, and find what systems are tied into it. This will let you know the circuit you need to be working with since you are having multiple problems at once. Let us know what happens.

OK, Well I had one of the pucker up moments... The problem has not resurfaced since the last time it happened ... until today.. I was going through a tight right, left , right chicane .. something I have done 100 times.. Well as I am swinging the bike to the left to hit the second corner, the tac drops to 0 and I lose all throttle control... I just stayed on course and it came back but I slowed waaaaay down through the last corner. Then it did it on and off for about another 3 miles.. I will be tearing apart the bike tonight and posting what I find..

I would expect some electrical glitch myself.. the hook is that the tach went to 0... if it was a fuel only issue, the tach would still be working but no power.. (in gear that is)

I have not tried it but I would bet when the kickstand kills the ignition, it kills the tach too.. someone will need to go out and try this (In a safe place huh?)

Well I checked everything I could check electrically and I will admit I am a novice at that stuff but all the levels checked out OK. So I was out of options. Then one of my buddies stopped by..He checked it out and said, hey your kickstand goes up alot harder than mine (his is an 06 busa) So i checked his out and it was much easier. We broke out the WD-40 and sprayed the hell out of it. Kickstand goes up like the day I bought her now.. AND I have not had the problem since.. Not sure if this helps anyone but try lubing the nut/bolt prior to swapping out the sensor unit. Keeping my fingers crossed but so far so good! Thanks for all the advice..Now I'm ready for the MotoGP race!

:beerchug:

It's all good...glad you didn't crash.

Keeping the kickstand well lubricated has benefits far beyond ease of use.

Back