clicking noise

dashowstopa19

Registered
I was riding home from work and heard a tapping sound when i would let off the clutch. i got home and rolled the bike in netural and didnt here the sound. i then put it in gear and when i rolled the bike slowly i could hear the sound again. does any one know what the sound is?

good news is its not the engine. does the clutch still hold when you nail the bike or does it slip?

Probably the chain. How many miles does it have on it? How well do you keep it maintained as in tensioned, lubed, etc.?

--Wag--

it is either chain being unlubed or pull your clutch cover off and make sure all 6 of those bolts are tight. mine had one come loose about a week ago and it is the stock original clutch.

here's one...my 05 LE does that..sorta..sounds like mine may be different. when im goin through the gears, when i get to about 3500rpm, 1st, 2nd and 3rd, dunno about anything else cuz of wind noise, but i heard a tapping or knocking..kinda like the chain popping, but its not the chain i KNOW because its way too slow and like i said its in each gear at the same rpm. plus its about 4 knocks/taps about a half a second apart. a friend suggested possibly the cam chain tensioner, which was the prob with his honda when he had the same noise. i keep my chain tight every oil change and lube it every 500mi or so..but it wont do it in N.....HELP!!

measured my chain yesterday and it was in the neighborhood of about 12 3/4"...a little longer than the 12.57" tolerance :whistle: lol so...chain/sprocket kit on order...i'll reply back in a week or so after its all been changed.

I just changed my chain and sprockets and there is no more popping, lugging or grinding.

My old chain looked fine and I kept it pretty clean and fairly well lubed.

I bet you need to replace them.

well its obvious according to the measurements that at least the chain is bad..sprockets look great but im goin with recomendations of the factory and friends also and changing the whole set
Posted via Mobile Device

+1000 always always change chain and sprocket together...now while your ordering a new rear sprocket go up +3 teeth and have more fun this summer..... I like ek chain and vortex sprocket, randy(mr bogus) has a stealth tri meter rear sproket its probably stringer and lighter then my aluminum vortex...but i change mine out every 5000 miles anyway...
:poke:

Last edited:
+1000 always always change chain and sprocket together...now while your ordering a new rear sprocket go up +3 teeth and have more fun this summer..... I like ek chain and vortex sprocket, randy(mr bogus) has a stealth tri meter rear sproket its probably stringer and lighter then my aluminum vortex...but i change mine out every 5000 miles anyway...
:poke:

-1000. I've had several chains on my bike and the first one got 11,000 miles and every one since then has gotten 1,000 miles. I've never changed one sprocket; they're still in good shape so why waste the time and money?

Just sayin'.

--Wag--

Back