clutch basket? no idea

boris20

Registered
Hey guys, fairly new owner of a busa here, and not great with mechanics. Ive been noticing a "knocking" noise when starting the bike. Its a hit and miss thing, sometimes really noticable, sometimes not at all. Kinda sounds like something metal smacking something. Some days it doesnt like to start easy. Was wondering if anyone had any idea as to what It could be. I was told at the Kawi shop that it was probly the clutch basket, but thats the kawi shop speaking, and they never actually looked, just listened. Any tips would be great. Love my bike, hate to see it hurt, and dont really have the cash to be owning a bike, due to being a fireman! lol So hopefully its an easy fix.

Not really enough info here... ned to know more about what sort of noise, when it is happening, what you are doing when it happens, etc...

Mainly just hear it when I try to start the bike, before it actually turns fully over and is running. Its a clanking, knocking noise. The guy at the kawi shop let the bike idle then slightly revd the engine and it could sorta be heard. I do not hear it when the bike is running, low RPM or Hi. Every once ina while the bike will try and not go into gear when going into say 3rd gear, itll pop out and make a hella clanking grinding noise and I will have to back off and re try to put it into gear, but this is only a very occasional thing. Hearing a noisy knocking, clanking noise when trying to start it is something thats getting worse it seems.

Take some of that back, just went out and listened some more. The bike does the knocking noise when setting running in idle, or if i rev the engine a bit, right at the start of twisting the throttle you can hear it, but when you raise the RPM it seems to go away. But it is for sure there and very hearable when the bike is just idleing, and upon starting. CLunk clunk clunk, or knock knock knock, whatever you wanna try and describe that.

care to interpret what piston slap is? Your talking to Mr. doesnt know but the basics on bike mechanics

02 with 6k miles, dont think shes been ridden too hard cept the usual "get on it" from time to time.

by the way.. I changed oil about 2 weeks ago, and only put like 3.6 in it, with a filter change.. Should i have or should I put the full 4 in her?

Cmon guru's throw some brainstorm at a fellow rider. Gotta find starter point to go after before I begin ordering crap and tearing things apart.

Hey guys, fairly new owner of a busa here, and not great with mechanics. Ive been noticing a "knocking" noise when starting the bike. Its a hit and miss thing, sometimes really noticable, sometimes not at all. Kinda sounds like something metal smacking something. Some days it doesnt like to start easy. Was wondering if anyone had any idea as to what It could be. I was told at the Kawi shop that it was probly the clutch basket, but thats the kawi shop speaking, and they never actually looked, just listened. Any tips would be great. Love my bike, hate to see it hurt, and dont really have the cash to be owning a bike, due to being a fireman! lol So hopefully its an easy fix.
Hey Busa Brother,

The noise you are hearing if it is what I think it is during startup is the classic Busa Clunking. Seriously I thought I had a problem and took mine (04 Busa) to the shop, the mechanics cleared my concious by getting a busa that was in the shop and started it right next to me and it made the same clunking sound when he started it up. After warmup the sound dies down. If you dont believe me find someone with a Busa and have them start it up cold and see what you hear. Let me know what your findings are. Holla Back.

Hey Red Man, thanks for the info. The only thing that concerns me now really is the difficulty starting the bike I have. Sometime it will take holding that starter for like 10 seconds of trying to crank it over and listening to a slapping/knocking sound before it will start. Is that normal? I mean theres been a few times I didnt think it was going to fire up, and people were standing looking at me like wth is wrong with that master of all bikes.

my first step would be to check the starter....pull it off and check for any thing abnormal. The starter clutch could be malfunctioning, causing intermittant power to the starter gear from the motor, or a host of other potential probs could be causing the noises you are hearing in reference to the starting situation. Does the starter continually crank the engine over? I have an 07 model, and have never heard any of the noises you describe.

Definitely check the starter if you are hearing any abnormal noise while it is trying to start. The '02 had a problem with starter kick-back that can screw up the block if it gets bad.

Hi there..i m a hayabusa rider from asia,singapore..My clutch also noisy.I bought this k8 hayabusa.i change the hub clutch assembly on december 08.now it starts again..i think there is problem with the manufacturer.

Could either be the crank balancer needing adjustment or just clutch basket making noise.. Make sure your idle is adjusted right too because my bike use to a clunking noise when idled too low usually when I get it inspected at the stealership and the screw with it.

Back