Oh Crap

jimg

Registered
Check this out.

My lady and I were touring round the top part of our country, when the back part of the bike started bouncing off the rear tyre.

After a brief period of "Oh my god my bikes f#$%ed" ranting, I actually looked at the bike to try and find out what the problem was. It was really hot, we were both in full leather gear and the sweat was starting to pour, when a fellow Suzuki rider drove past in his car.

He had noticed the upside down, under rear wheel inspection pose as "Not Normal Hayabusa rider road side behaviour" and decided to stop and see if there was a problem. He asked us if we'd like to diagonose the problem in a cool garage rather than a road side oven, so after a quick transfer of gear to his car, we
slowly rode up the road to his house.

I'm no mechanic, but after a brief discussion as to whether or not it was a suspension problem, I remembered about the weak sub frames the early hayabusas had, and decided to have a look
under the front seat.

As you can see, it wasn't hard to figure out what the problem
was
smile.gif

StuffedSubFrame.jpg

awwww chitsky..... that like waaayy sucks.. what year BUSA do you have? what the heck are your options when THAT happens?
I have an 03.. cold that happen to me..

All I can say is .... DOAH...... that sucks....

Be glad that the tire didnt grab and you both didnt slide down the highway when the back wheel locked up... I call this a success story !! Glad you guys are OK.

Cap

Did Suzuki Recall these or just change to a steel subframe I cannot remember. Sounds like you got off easy all things considered, your just a steel subframe away from roling again. Glad your ok.

Rev

When you go to replace the subframe make certan you get a steel one if you do a lot of riding with a pillion. I might talk to your Local dealer, they might take pity on you and help you out.

With all the problems I have heard here about the aluminum sub-frame, Suzuki should be taking care of this as a warranty deal. If the dealer tells you to hose off I would call Suzuki USA and talk with them. Good luck and everyones right, you are lucky!

Hi All

Mines a 2000 Hayabusa and had the allloy sub frame. I think the 2001 and later models all had the new strong steel sub frame,
so you shouldn't have a problem if you've got the later model

Your comments about being lucky are all so true. At the time you're more focused on the fact that your
favourite toy has been broken, but the reality is that it could have been so much worse given a different
set of circumstances. We had just finished a section of excellent twisty roads and had come into a
more sedate section of the country when we started noticeing the bike handling badly and bottoming out
every now and again. I'd hate to think what might have happed if we'd hit a big bump while leaning right
over.

It didn't just snap and start bouncing, I'm pretty sure one side went and then a bit later on the other side
snapped. At the time I noticed a slight clunk under the seat, but I thought a bunge cord ( elastic tie down )
was just slipping and didn't think much of it. The rear of the bike then started slowing sagging. At first
it was just a scraping noise when we went over a particulaly bad bump. We stopped the bike had a look, couldn't
see anything really wrong, checked the suspension, checked for loose parts couln't find anything, kept going.
The problem started getting really bad, now every little bump was feeling really funny. Got back off the bike,
looked under the rear wheel arch and then noticed the impact scrape the tyre was leaving on the wheel arch.

I got the bike trucked to the nearest Suzuki dealer, and was told the part was $1050 ( nz dollars ) and would be 10
days while it was shipped from Japan ( I think I started foaming at the mouth then ). I then asked them to contact
Suzuki New Zealand, as you don't expect a sub frame to just snap with an average load on the bike, and I didn't
think it was something I'd caused thru stupidity ( which is the usual cause
smile.gif

Luckly they had a replacement steel sub frame in the country and gave it to me for $600, the local bike shop
put us to the front of the waiting list and got the work done the next day and we were back on the road $850
lighter but still on holiday
smile.gif

Jim.

BackOnTheRoadAgain.jpg

smile.gif

JIMG
Don,t know the situation in N.Z. but in Aus this has been a problem with all 99 00 bikes with alloy frames.
Basically have to threaten Suzuki Aus but they generally relent after pressure and have been replacing frames with steel ones at their expense.
Some bods have replaced frames before they actually broke by obtaining second hand ones ,usually paying 400 to 450 Aus$
Have got a 99 myself but intend to pressure Suzuki when it does go. Only ever use it one up with no added luggage
Would love to take it to N.Z. Good luck
soapbox.gif

I am glad to hear everyone came out in good health. Sorry about the extra expense, maybe they can reimburse some for the defective part. I usually just forget about things like that once they are fixed but, if I wait on fixing it and pursue them I am relentless. Anyway, glad you are good to go now, enjoyed the rest of your holiday.

Hi All

Mines a 2000 Hayabusa and had the allloy sub frame. I think the 2001 and later models all had the new strong steel sub frame,

Your comments about being lucky are all so true. At the time you're more focused on the fact that your
favourite toy has been broken, but the reality is that it could have been so much worse given a different
set of circumstances. We had just finished a section of excellent twisty roads and had come into a
more sedate section of the country when we started noticeing the bike handling badly and bottoming out
every now and again. I'd hate to think what might have happed if we'd hit a big bump while leaning right
over.

It didn't just snap and start bouncing, I'm pretty sure one side went and then a bit later on the other side
snapped. At the time I noticed a slight clunk under the seat, but I thought a bunge cord ( elastic tie down )
was just slipping and didn't think much of it. The rear of the bike then started slowing sagging. At first
it was just a scraping noise when we went over a particulaly bad bump. We stopped the bike had a look, couldn't
see anything really wrong, checked the suspension, checked for loose parts couln't find anything, kept going.
The problem started getting really bad, now every little bump was feeling really funny. Got back off the bike,
looked under the rear wheel arch and then noticed the impact scrape the tyre was leaving on the wheel arch.

I got the bike trucked to the nearest Suzuki dealer, and was told the part was $1050 ( nz dollars ) and would be 10
days while it was shipped from Japan ( I think I started foaming at the mouth then ). I then asked them to contact
Suzuki New Zealand, as you don't expect a sub frame to just snap with an average load on the bike, and I didn't
smile.gif

Luckly they had a replacement steel sub frame in the country and gave it to me for $600, the local bike shop
put us to the front of the waiting list and got the work done the next day and we were back on the road $850
smile.gif

Jim.
Well man, by the picture you attached, thats alot of weight you added. The girl, what 125-135. How much more lbs. did everything else weigh. I think that was your problem. But like everyone else says, Thank God nothing bad happened to you guys. Peace
super.gif

smile.gif

Hi HayabusaEPT

Marie + all the packs including the tank bag weigh less than me. The saddle bags contained sleeping bags, the back pack contained
a small tent, some clothes and toiletries. the tank bag contained rolled up "blow up" sleeping mats.

I'm not that strong but I can pick most of that up with one arm. The replacement part for the 1999, 2000 busas is now steel just like
the 2001 busa and above.

I have to admit tho it does look like it would weigh a ton
smile.gif

Damn!  Glad you are both ok.  Like the others said above - Suzuki should fix that for free - send them the bill.

<!--EDIT|Let 'er eat!
Reason for Edit: None given...|1075410770 -->

Yes send them the bill. Suzuki state somewhere that subframes breaking is due to the use of aftermarket exhausts, because the standard one is a structural support for the subframe. Since you have a standard exhaust fitted, you should not have suffered a breakage.

Suzuki GB will supply steel frames free-of-charge to concerned busa customers, they should at least have let you have that one for free after suffering such a near-disaster.

I have just ordered a steel subframe from a breakers for £99 delivered here in the UK. A kit car company uses Busa engines, so some breakers break brand new bikes (they almost break even on just the engine.) Try Usedparts@powersport.co.uk for any difficult to source or expensive parts, they may be able to ship abroad cheaper. Do check prices of second hand parts against local Suzuki dealership. I have seen second hand parts go for more than the new price on e-bay.

Hi All

over.

smile.gif

smile.gif

Jim.
Well man, by the picture you attached, thats alot of weight you added.  The girl, what 125-135.  How much more lbs. did everything else weigh. I think that was your problem.  But like everyone else says, Thank God nothing bad happened to you guys.   Peace
super.gif
I gotta agree with the weight theory. In jimg's first posting, I immediately ran and checked my 01 Busa's subframe. Whew! No cracks or bends. When I read the second jimg posting and saw his beautiful Busa (and woman), I thought, "Now I don't know how much both riders weigh, and I sure as hell don't know how much the luggage weighs, but I do know that if I were tooling around on holiday with my wife and luggage, I might be pushing the "fun meter" a little too far, because I would be loaded out for several days". Based on my training and riding experiences, I'd guess that it was a combination of events that caused the frame to snap. Clearly, Suzuki should be responsible because they put rear passenger pegs on the Busa to begin with. Beautiful bike for one person, OK bike for two on a day trip, but maybe not my choice for loaded-out touring with two riders plus added luggage for several days. I'm happy that you two were not hurt and I hope the new steel subframe will hold up. By the way, I tooled around Christchurch and Auckland back in 1971. Beautiful country, New Zealand! Some day I'll return for my own holiday!

smile.gif

Definitely glad to hear everyone was okay and that things were worked. Jimg, hope you if you decide to take it to Suzuki (and I think you should) that that works out as well!

Wow...that's sounds scary! I have a 2003 and live in canada. I plan on going from Vancouver BC down to L.A this summer with 2 up. Who says you can't tour comfy with 2 up? well......I did by a corbin for the passenger:) I also bought some bar risers. Anyways, Glad to hear a fellow biker ecscaped a serious accident.:)

Wow...that's sounds scary! I have a 2003 and live in canada.  I plan on going from Vancouver BC down to L.A this summer with 2 up.  Who says you can't tour comfy with 2 up? well......I did by a corbin for the passenger:)  I also bought some bar risers.  Anyways, Glad to hear a fellow biker ecscaped a serious accident.:)
Hey....when did you sneak in here......welcome to the board bro.

trolleywire

"...BC to LA - two up..."

I'd be interested in hearing about your trip. I'm in San Diego and have thought of the trip in reverse.

Back