Lost all gauges & power..headlight works????, Lost

TorontoBusa

Donating Member
Registered
Well my ride on the first day of the year was cut short!

Lost all my gauges, turn signals, tach, speedo, fuel tank, trip, clock, starter, eveything, but head light still works.(with engine running or not, headlight works, and is bright, so I did not cook the battery)

any idea's, where to start? (if it a fuse, I still have to figure out why the fuse is blowing)

New battery this year.

Thanks for the help in advance!

When/how did you loose everything, were you riding? Did you recently have the nose off of your bike? Sounds lo me like your cannon plugs are all disconnected... what did you do/have done to your bike in the off season?

(MC MUSTANG @ Apr. 21 2007,11:45) When/how did you loose everything, were you riding?  Did you recently have the nose off of your bike?  Sounds lo me like your cannon plugs are all disconnected...  what did you do/have done to your bike in the off season?
After riding for about 30 minutes, while riding, lost the dash gauges. Never taken the nose off the bike.

Last year inn the spring PCIII and under tail, but no problems last year.

For the winter, just took the battery out, lubed the chain and put the rear wheel on the stand. Normally, I fog it, and change the oil, but this year did not.

If you have lost everything, then I recommend that you check the cluster connector like NJ said and also look at the connectors under the upper left inner pannel (near the fuse box)... just to make sure you don't have something going on there like a short or something disconnected...

Is it possible that you battery is almost dead? Ever had any charging system problems?

(MC MUSTANG @ Apr. 21 2007,14:32) If you have lost everything, then I recommend that you check the cluster connector like NJ said and also look at the connectors under the upper left inner pannel (near the fuse box)... just to make sure you don't have something going on there like a short or something disconnected...

Is it possible that you battery is almost dead?  Ever had any charging system problems?
Battery is brand new, last year fried the battery...(I hope that is not why it fried)

I think I have the original battery (or could be second, it is a 2000, and I have owed for 4 years, and this is the first new battery I have put in it)

The heed light is very bright, I would assume if I fried the new one, it would be yellow/dim looking.

I will check the cluster as you mentioned.

Thanks again!

(MC MUSTANG @ Apr. 21 2007,11:45) When/how did you loose everything, were you riding?  Did you recently have the nose off of your bike?  Sounds lo me like your cannon plugs are all disconnected...  what did you do/have done to your bike in the off season?
What are cannon plugs??

Well, I don't think they are actually cannon plugs, but they are the plastic connector plugs. Cannon plugs are usually a back shell and with ring that is used to thread the two pieces together, like the ones made by amphenol. Typically they are used in military equipment (mil spec).

I would start with the fuse, it's easy to get to. There is even a spare fuse in the house ready to be burned up. I would replace the fuse and just see if it blows again. If the fuse blows then use the process of elimination, disconnect half the associated components powered by the fuse. Put another fuse in to see if it blows, keep eliminating until you locate the problem. Also, remember a blown fuse is a happy fuse!

Found the problem, short cicuit on my tail lights, wires rubbed (I assume) and shorted, melted the housing!!!

BusaTurnSignalMeltedIMGP1488__2_.JPG

Kind of a dead thread but I am going through the same thing. Its the exact same thing. Im glad someone could post this help...so many years ago.

There is a wire that goes to the running lights at the top corner of the headlight. If you unscrewed your fairing stay, there is a chance that wire got pinched. Happened to me.

Back