High-pitched whistle between 4000 and 500 rpm

FinnBusa

Registered
Hi everyone!

I'm hearing a whistling sound, it's most noticeable between 4000 and 5000 rpms. I could swear it wasn't there before but I'm not 100% sure. I always ride with ear plugs on but last Sunday I took a short ride without the plugs and heard the whistle. Bike runs fine, nothing wrong with it (as far as I can tell). I mentioned this sound to a Suzuki mechanic today and he test-drove the bike. He heard the sound as well but said that it's normal, nothing wrong with the bike. He said that these kinds of sounds may come and go in the first few thousand miles (3000 miles on the odo at the moment, '03 Busa)

But I'm still wondering what this sound is. Anyone else hear this kind of whistle? I don't hear it when the gear is in neutral or when the clutch is disengaged, I hear it only when I'm on the throttle. Oh, and the pitch of the sound goes up and down with the revs. As I mentioned, I'm not sure if it's been there from the beginning but at least I haven't noticed it before.

Any comments/ideas?

There has been some talk of the gas cap whistling.
I don't think this is the case here. Or maybe it's just me whistling? I'm so happy with the bike...
smile.gif

I have 4300 on my 03 and mine started at around 750 miles. I contributed most of mine to the double bubble windshield that I have on her and was able to pinpoint that most of that sound. Otherwise it's just normal inline 4 sounds...........

its normal to sound like a jet? im even having this problem and I still have the stock windscreen and the engine untouched from the showroom floor. bike has about 2000 miles on it.
1zhelp.gif

The fuel tank will whistle as it is venting fumes. Mine does it all the time. I don't think I have ever noticed it when riding but mostly when I am parked and chit chatting. Have you ever noticed it when parked and just resting with the bike in the sun? If yes then just open the fuel cap and you will here it vent.

Marc "Howlin Mad"

Back