HELP..PART 2..This has stumped 2 dealers

igowfo

Registered
I have looked at and tried everything being suggested on this forum and the bike still won't start. I am still bikeless.
So far, I replaced the chrome Stator cover with a OEM cover: checked the crank shaft key for fit and position: set the Yosh cams to the Suzuki settings while maintaining the degreeing: checked and have spec voltage at the cam and crank shaft sensor: replaced the cam position sensor, checked the height of the cam sensor pin, checked all of the connections, yada, yada.
The bike is now trying to fire, but seems to be firing to early. HELP!

I am including my original post of the problem if you want to read up on this nightmare scenario. I am giving a Hayabusa embroderied shirt to the good samaritan who comes up with a solution to this most ugly of problems. Thanks. I'm going out for a drink and think and will be back later.

Man, do I need some help. I am hoping someone on the forum has run across this problem or has heard of it before. This problem has totally stumped 2 Suzuki dealers so far, and they have thrown up their hands over the problem.
My 2003 Hayabusa wont start, is trying to fire out of sequence, and is randomly sputtering.

So far, here is what has gone on. Jim Palmers, the largest Suzuki dealer in Daytona Beach, worked on the bike for 14 hours, all to no avail. The bike has been in a shop in Houston, Texas for two weeks, with no progress in sight. Who ever can solve this problem will be a Super Hero in my book and to the other mechanics who have worked on the bike so far.

Here is the history of the bike, the problem, and the attempted fixes. I bought the modified 2003 Busa 8 months before the problem began. The bike ran fine before I began to clean and dress it up for Bikeweek. Yes, I admit, I broke it.

Modifications to the bike are as follows.
1397â€￾ bore; Yoshimura cams; valves and springs; JE pistons; Revtech commander; new lighting on the front and back; additional fan, misc chrome and dress ups.

The problem with the bike is:
The bike will try to start, but it is firing out of sequence, and will only pop and sputter randomly. Fuel delivery seems to be fine.

Here is what I did just previous to the problem. All the plastic was removed so I could deep clean the bike. I thought I may have been a little to aggressive with the brushes, cleaner and water, so I went back and sprayed wd-40 in all of the connections and rechecked the wiring as best I could. Some of the wiring done by the previous owner was not tight so I tried to clean it up. New plugs were installed and the K&N was cleaned. I replaced gaskets on the exhaust emission tubes to clear up an exhaust leak.

I replaced the Stator cover with a CHROMED cover at the same time, and this is where I think the problem lies. I worked with the mechanic at the Daytona shop, and when we got around to taking the stator cover off, we found the sensor contact pick up was slightly loose. The threads had some chrome down in them and it allowed the contact to moved a little back and forth. I did not catch this when I switched covers. We tapped out the threads and reinstalled. Before we took the stator cover off, the bike would try to start and would sputter. After reinstalling the stator cover with the contact tightened , the bike would not try to start or sputter at all. The voltage tested fine, so the mechanic moved on. A new ecu unit was plugged in from a 2005 Busa, the power commander disconnectd, plugs replaced, and a new cam sensor bought and replaced, and hours were poured into the bike.

When none of this worked, we pulled the cams out, as the mechanic thought they were off by one tooth, and he reset them. We did not change the degree of the cams. I protested the cam change as I know they did not jump a tooth, and the bike ran great before, but he was the master mechanic of the shop, so I took the back seat. We were getting codes that said the cam sensor was bad so the sensor was replaced, and all of the other sensors were checked out. After 14 hours of working on the bike, charging me for only 2 hours, they threw in the towel and gave the bike back.

While at the Daytona Track before the Aria 200, I talked to Derek, the top Technician for Suzuki. Explaining the problem to him, he said the air gap between stator contact pickup and the engine flywheel was critical, and if it is off, it will change the voltage and allow the sensors to give false readings. I bought another stator from a 2002 (I think), and compared it to the existing one. When the old stator sensor pick up was loose, you could see where it had barely scrapped the contact, so I replaced the stator. The Houston mechanic seems to think it is registering the proper voltage, high on one end, low on the other, but within tolerance, and now the bike is back to at least sputtering, but not starting. I am installing a different non chromed stator cover this week hoping it may have something to do with the problem. We are waiting for information from Yoshimura about the cam position, but I don’t think that was the problem to begin with.
If anyone has any ideas or cures, or can lead me to someone who might, please help.
I can be contacted at bill@theroofco.com

<!--EDIT|igowfo
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120998086 -->

I put a dialectic grease in all of the connections to correct any problem I may of had with the wd-40. The computer was switched out with a 2005 Busa, and the power commander is disconnected. All errors were run down, it was showing the cam sensor, so it was replaced, but ended up not needed to be. The compression checks out at 240 to 250 lbs. Spark is hot, but seems to be firing early.

I will look again at the tip over, bike stand, altitude, and air temp sensors and switches. Any other suggestion for switches or sensors that I checkout. Can I by-pass any of these switches or disconnect them?

Thanks for your suggestions. This sucks, since it is no doubt something stupid that I caused.

IT sounds like your problem lies in your ECU I know you switched it but it has to be in the ECU or the connections,the early GM computers would do the same thing because the fire and piston location woud get confused,and since the only thing you did was put a chrome stator cover on it and use what sounds like alot of soap and water on it with the body work removed I would say ECU related, just like the cars today it is not recomended to wash the engines off due to all the electronics,but
rock.gif
??

I know it might seem obvious but as you said, this ones going to be something stupid. Have you made sure the coils and injectors are all wired in the correct sequence?

I have looked at and tried everything being suggested on this forum and the bike still won't start. I am still bikeless.
So far, I replaced the chrome Stator cover with a OEM cover: checked the crank shaft key for fit and position: set the Yosh cams to the Suzuki settings while maintaining the degreeing: checked and have spec voltage at the cam and crank shaft sensor: replaced the cam position sensor, checked the height of the cam sensor pin, checked all of the connections, yada, yada.

I am including my original post of the problem if you want to read up on this nightmare scenario. I am giving a Hayabusa embroderied shirt to the good samaritan who comes up with a solution to this most ugly of problems. Thanks. I'm going out for a drink and think and will be back later.

Man, do I need some help. I am hoping someone on the forum has run across this problem or has heard of it before. This problem has totally stumped 2 Suzuki dealers so far, and they have thrown up their hands over the problem.
My 2003 Hayabusa wont start, is trying to fire out of sequence, and is randomly sputtering.

So far, here is what has gone on. Jim Palmers, the largest Suzuki dealer in Daytona Beach, worked on the bike for 14 hours, all to no avail. The bike has been in a shop in Houston, Texas for two weeks, with no progress in sight. Who ever can solve this problem will be a Super Hero in my book and to the other mechanics who have worked on the bike so far.

Here is the history of the bike, the problem, and the attempted fixes. I bought the modified 2003 Busa 8 months before the problem began. The bike ran fine before I began to clean and dress it up for Bikeweek. Yes, I admit, I broke it.

1397â€￾ bore; Yoshimura cams; valves and springs; JE pistons; Revtech commander; new lighting on the front and back; additional fan, misc chrome and dress ups.

The bike will try to start, but it is firing out of sequence, and will only pop and sputter randomly. Fuel delivery seems to be fine.

Here is what I did just previous to the problem. All the plastic was removed so I could deep clean the bike. I thought I may have been a little to aggressive with the brushes, cleaner and water, so I went back and sprayed wd-40 in all of the connections and rechecked the wiring as best I could. Some of the wiring done by the previous owner was not tight so I tried to clean it up. New plugs were installed and the K&N was cleaned. I replaced gaskets on the exhaust emission tubes to clear up an exhaust leak.

I replaced the Stator cover with a CHROMED cover at the same time, and this is where I think the problem lies. I worked with the mechanic at the Daytona shop, and when we got around to taking the stator cover off, we found the sensor contact pick up was slightly loose. The threads had some chrome down in them and it allowed the contact to moved a little back and forth. I did not catch this when I switched covers. We tapped out the threads and reinstalled. Before we took the stator cover off, the bike would try to start and would sputter. After reinstalling the stator cover with the contact tightened , the bike would not try to start or sputter at all. The voltage tested fine, so the mechanic moved on. A new ecu unit was plugged in from a 2005 Busa, the power commander disconnectd, plugs replaced, and a new cam sensor bought and replaced, and hours were poured into the bike.

When none of this worked, we pulled the cams out, as the mechanic thought they were off by one tooth, and he reset them. We did not change the degree of the cams. I protested the cam change as I know they did not jump a tooth, and the bike ran great before, but he was the master mechanic of the shop, so I took the back seat. We were getting codes that said the cam sensor was bad so the sensor was replaced, and all of the other sensors were checked out. After 14 hours of working on the bike, charging me for only 2 hours, they threw in the towel and gave the bike back.

While at the Daytona Track before the Aria 200, I talked to Derek, the top Technician for Suzuki. Explaining the problem to him, he said the air gap between stator contact pickup and the engine flywheel was critical, and if it is off, it will change the voltage and allow the sensors to give false readings. I bought another stator from a 2002 (I think), and compared it to the existing one. When the old stator sensor pick up was loose, you could see where it had barely scrapped the contact, so I replaced the stator. The Houston mechanic seems to think it is registering the proper voltage, high on one end, low on the other, but within tolerance, and now the bike is back to at least sputtering, but not starting. I am installing a different non chromed stator cover this week hoping it may have something to do with the problem. We are waiting for information from Yoshimura about the cam position, but I don’t think that was the problem to begin with.
If anyone has any ideas or cures, or can lead me to someone who might, please help.

Like Derek said...the timing sensor behind your stator cover is VERY sensitive to positioning. If you don't have it EXACTLY where it needs to be with the EXACT air gap your gonna have probs...been there done that
wink.gif
You need to be sure it is positioned EXACTLY where it needs to be....I would bet big money thats your prob. Since you had to retap threads ect, you need to be sure its good to go...be patient and be thorough or this will drive you nuts.... I know
wink.gif

Also be sure you didn't pinch any wires switching stator covers....and NEVER soak your bike....a wet rag then dry/wax and some patience is the way to go when its cleaning time. Hope this helps

wink.gif

Did you have those injectors checked like I told you to?
rock.gif
If that's not the case, then I'd be looking at the ECU.

I think he has alredy eliminated the chance of it being a ECU problem bacharles!!

The computer was switched out with a 2005 Busa [/QUOTE]

...do you suppose that it could be a problem with a short or something in the fuel management circuit
rock.gif

The computer was switched out with a 2005 Busa, and the power commander is disconnected.
uh.. just a strange thing to say here.. but ....

my bike will NOT start without the power commander plugged in anymore.

dont know if it burned in the ecu, but it just WONT!

will yours start with the powercommander??
rock.gif

either he did or sold it

Rockethead , first how on earth do you find a five year old thread ?
Second , I certainly hope he got it fixed by now !
Third , it is sad to see that the people who posted in this thread back then are gone now as I don't recognize any of the names at all ?

just searching thru old threads about problems with the gen 1 as i have an 01 and want to know what to look out for and what to expect. too bad they didn't say what really caused the engine not to fire

i would be willing to bet money it was the retapping job they did. That probably changed the gap on that sensor. Those stupid things are so very sensitive.every time you retap a hole it gets a little looser....no pun intended gutter rats..... which inturn allows a little slop and movement.

Back