Noise from gearbox/tranny/front sprocket

JCinTX

Registered
Yesterday I was going to go for a morning ride so I was doing a pre-ride check and noticed the chain needed to be lubed a little so I put the bike up on a rear stand and lubed the chain, someone once told me that after spinning the tire backwards while spraying the lube after it is coated you should spin it back forward again. So, I decide to start the bike up and spin the tire with the motor, I slowly eased the cluch out to full release and thats when I started hearing a knocking noise coming from the front sprocket area. So, I bend down to look at it and the chain is bouncing all over the place while I am looking at it, it appears like the clutch is disengaging for a moment then full on again or like if someone were just popping the gas on and off. I checked the tension of the chain and that seems fine, I am just wondering if anyone else had ever run the bike with the rear wheel off the ground and had similar results. Also, I went ahead and took the bike out for a short ride and it seems fine going through the gears but sometimes it doesn't fully engage into 6th and you really hafta hit the lever pretty hard and then it grinds briefly and drops in there, not all the time but some of the time. Also I noticed in neutral and engine ide there is also a wierd noise coming from the front sprocket area with the clutch released.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Jay

The clatter from the chain,sprocket,trans area while running on a stand is normal....mine does it too
wink.gif
it is a little smoother when the bike is warm.

With the wheel off the ground there is no load on the drive train and as the idle speed varies a little up and down the rear wheel slows and then speeds up and the slack in the chain (normal) causes the clatter.

The clatter from the chain,sprocket,trans area while running on a stand is normal....mine does it too
wink.gif

With the wheel off the ground there is no load on the drive train and as the idle speed varies a little up and down the rear wheel slows and then speeds up and the slack in the chain (normal) causes the clatter.
That is good info. Thanks BA BUSA.

Thanks alot I figured it might have something to do with no load on the rear tire but was more concerned about the noise, nice to know that's normal.
Thanks Bro,
Jay

Be careful guys! A few years back a member of one of the CBR1100XX boards thought that putting his bike in 1st gear while on the rear stand would be a great way to clean the chain. The rag he was holding got caught between sprocket and chain and a split second later he was minus two fingers!

wink.gif

BA BUSA is correct. This is normal. Usually when the bike warms up, or you can shift it into a higher gear and it stops. My guess is that it has something to do with the high torque in 1st gear and with the wheel in the air, there isn't much force resisting the drive sprocket.

Back