02 Busa Will not Start--Help!!

DeltaGreen

Registered
OK guys, you will probably shake your heads at some of this info, but I wanted you to know all of the details so I can get back on the road. This winter, I wanted to do some mods, so I sent my tail and solo seat to Gator Glass and installed the wiring myself. (One clip that clips to a brown lead on the front of the bike near the fuse panel and another lead that goes on the Neg terminal of the battery. The battery (stock batt) was low after trickle charging over the winter so we decided to charge it up. My wife hooked up the battery terminals backwards on the battery while in the bike. It sat for maybe 3-5 minutes.. I came back to the charger breaker clicking over and over. The bike would not start after this. I checked fuses and the ignition fuse was shot. After replacing, bike started OK. I charged the battery the right way after that and rode the bike approx 100 miles over several days. The bike then would not start or fire up the fuel pump. I read on the forums that the stock battery might be shot so I replaced it with one from batterymart.com. After charging that battery up, the bike will turn on and kick off the fuel pump, but no start. And yes, I checked engine kill switch, kickstand, etc etc....I have foobarred my Busa....HELP!!!
BTW this is hands down one of the best resources online for bike and especially Busas. If you are new to the site, take the time to go through the forums... you will learn much!!

Thanks!

not clear about what u meant by kicking the fuel pump off..? does the fuel pump kick on to pressurize, then turn off? and does it crank over or does nothing happen when you press the start button?

The fuel pump pressurizes when I turn the key to the "on" position, but the engine does not crank at all (no sound whatsoever) when I press ignition button. All gauges come on as normal, headlight lights up just like when the engine used to crank. Also, I thought I read on other threads that the original Suzuki batteries were junk? you guys still think this is a batt issue?

No switches have been relocated. Ummm... is the tip switch a component that can be turned off/on (like the engine kill switch, etc, etc.)? If so, where do I find it to try to reset it?

No switches have been relocated. Ummm... is the tip switch a component that can be turned off/on (like the engine kill switch, etc, etc.)? If so, where do I find it to try to reset it?
Batteries can really trick you into thinking all kinds of other things are wrong. The first thing you need to do is be very sure you have a good battery that is fully charged, and all fuses are good. Cross posting batts can fry ecm's....but if you had the key off when your wife cross posted it should be fine.

it's not the ECU because you rode it after you hooked the battery backwards.
two simple checks.
1) get a volt meter and check the voltage with the battery off and then with the key on.
post numbers
2) the tip over switch in between the rear of the tank and the front of the battery just check to make sure it is in the holder with "up" up and the grey connector is not loose

Checked voltage at the battery--

with key off: 12.41 VDC
with key on: 11.91 VDC

Tip switch (took me a while to find it) is tucked under cross-member in between tank and batt. It has "up" pointing up and the grey connector is plugged all the way in

what wires did you hook up? you said one to brown and one to ground. and if it was in the tail you ran a wire all the way to the front?
I guess you have a neutral light on?
I know it is hard to get to but I bet you have a stuck starter selenoid. try tapping it while hitting the button.
any other mods?

try the kick stand. make sure is up all the way. my buddies busa's kickstand some time dont trigger and the bike wont start.

Jonnny and Delta Green, have you checked the starter lead wire to see if it's even hot? Sounds like something got cooked on the way to the starter.
Good luck tracking it down lots of testing and patients, electrical issues are the most difficult of all.

I tried the tapping the solenoid method and bike still won't start. At this point. I am going to tear the bike back apart so I can check things like the starter lead,. etc. Any special order to techniques for checking the starter relay or starter? I have the busa service manual, so I can find just whatever via schematic.

Thanks for all of the posts--I appreciate any and all help. Johnny has been especially helpful so far.

DG

<!--EDIT|DeltaGreen
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120364399 -->

I checked the main 30 Amp fuse (it's fine) and checked voltage at the starter relay. Voltage was 0 with ignition off, 11.41 VDC with it on and the same voltage when I pressed the starter button. (I measured voltage at the battery input on the relay).

Back