CA emmissions?

If you're talking about the PAIR removal, yes it's on the CO bike and it's easy to take off (or disable with a marble.)

Don't know if the CO bikes carry the same emissions equip. that the CA bikes have.

Quick way to tell if you have access to a bike + it still has stickers on it: there should be a sticker on the frame saying the bike meets the California emission standards.

Not so quick way: under the rear cowling there is a charcoal canister on the right side of the bike which filters fuel vapors from the tank. You have to remove the cowling to see it.

I THINK there's some equipment in the fuel tank itself that handles fuel vapors + direct them to the canister (which is why CA tanks are 5 Gal. and not 5.5 like the rest of the country). I may be wrong on this tho.

Dunno about removing the emission stuff. I guess you'd have to get a non-CA tank etc.

I believe that all Busas worldwide have the PAIR module.

...the sticker on the right side of the frame says it meets epa regs for 2005 model year, I cannot find one word that says california on it. Does this mean I have a 48 state bike?

They are all the same. The emissions consist of a pair valve and all of them have it.

But the cali model has a smaller tank as well as some other bits, trying to figure out which I have, seems based on the sticker it might be the 48 model?

ca is the only state that has a 5gal tank the other 49 staes have 5.5gal. it will say it meets ca emissions if thats not on there on the side frame like mine is. then you got 5.5gal tank.

ok, just got home + took a look at my bike.  Here's an easy way to tell:

1. take off the rear seat or hump.

2. On the right hand side wall of the compartment, next to the tool bag--if there's a white sticker that has information about fuel vacuum hose routing with a bunch of diagrams, you have a California ("E-33") bike.

3. Also - you can actually see the charcoal canister by looking between the plastic of the storage compartment and the rear cowling on the right hand side.  It's a black cylinder.

If you don't have either of these, your bike is an "E-03" - the designation for non-Cali USA bikes. Pollute at will.

I did as you said and I see a bunch of empty space between the compartment and the cowl..looks like Iam good to go unless I did not look hard enough, thanks a ton for checking for me. I am pretty obsessive about stupid stuff sometimes.

congrats, you don't have a Cali bike!

enjoy the x-tra half-gal of gas
wink.gif

well since I had to pretty much remove that panel to get at the nuts to remove the reflectors, I had it open, no canister on the right side, I assume it would have been big enough to see..haha No tubes coming from he fuel tank either.

<!--EDIT|wickedsprint
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119752915 -->

yeah i looked at my bike also today and on the side it would say meets CA and federal emmsion standards. dam ca i lose 1/2 gal.

Back