Another False Neutral Problem...

busahaya

SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
Why does the Busa give me a false neutral when in transition from 5th gear going to 6th gear? What gives? Anybody else have this problem? Is it worth bringing this up to Suzuki? What do you Ladies & Gents think?

Quit shiftin' like a girl
tounge.gif

I've read people post on this since I bought the Busa and joined the org. I've never had a false neutral between 5th and 6th. I've had several REAL neutrals between 1st and second, but thats just from LAZY shifting.

So what does the bike actually do? Does it not actually engage a gear and feel like neutral? Does the neutral light come on? Just curious
rock.gif

Lot of people seem to hit that spot. Don't worry about it Bro
biggrin.gif
Maybe try adjusting your shift lever down slightly...

try to get in the habit of leaving some pressure on the shifter as you engage the clutch. The Buells did that alot and I now do that kinda automatically...never hit a false neutral yet.

synthetic oil seems to help also..

i still do it every once in a while... no big deal most of the time though.

Get a left boot about 2 sizes bigger than the right one... yeah that'll fix em

Just for comparison purposes, my new busa (225 miles) shifts as smooth as silk! Have yet to hit a false neurtral or miss a shift, but then again, like suggested by others in this thread, I always try to shift like I mean it!

Figured I was going to get the "Shift like you mean it"
smile.gif
but what do you all think is the cause of it?

I've read people post on this since I bought the Busa and joined the org.  I've never had a false neutral between 5th and 6th.  I've had several REAL neutrals between 1st and second, but thats just from LAZY shifting.

So what does the bike actually do?  Does it not actually engage a gear and feel like neutral?  Does the neutral light come on?     Just curious
rock.gif
No neutral light and no in gear. Just not in gear at all and you must punch it up to 6th or down to 5th to engage it after that. Rarely happens but shifting hard, getting above 2000 miles on your bike, and synthetic oil all seem to help to varying degree's.
smile.gif

Figured I was going to get the "Shift like you mean it"
smile.gif
but what do you all think is the cause of it?
I'm not sure what the inside of the trany looks like but basiclly what is happening is that you just missed the gear. When it happened to mine it would clunk a few times then drop back into 5th. What ever ties the gears together just isn't going far enough to engage.

I read all about how to "shift like you mean it", "shift harder", "adjust your peg", already.

A while back on this same subject someone else DID post another response, that if it's only doing it in 5th to 6th, but not in any of the other gears, that means it's not problem with the rider's shifting habits.

The more I thought about it, the more it made sense. You're shifting the lever up, BUT that does not mean that the position of the lever itself is getting that much higher, if any at all, in relations to your rest peg.

I did bring this up to the Service Manager, Pete, at the dealer that I just got my 15000 service at, and it agrees that it doesn't sound right and doubt it's rider error, or badly adjusted rest peg/clutch peg. If it was, it should do it in at least one of the other gear transitions, or all of them, not just 5th to 6th. He thinks it might have something to do the the "bone" in the tranny. Busahaya and I was pondering what he was talking about and we guess it might be the shift fork since it looks like a wishbone in the manual.

He said his Suzuki Regional service guy is pretty cool and he'll ask him.

Oh, and that dispells the whole, it's the oil theory too.

I don't know how that got started, to just "shift harder", but it's not the answer.

By the way, I initially bought that whole "shift harder" myth too, and for a time was "setting" up to shift into 6th really hard. Worked for awhile then I started re-encountering the hole.

Back