Busa hard to start Part 2

1313R

Registered
New battery helped a little. Then after a few days, she still fires but, takes longer than it should. Pulled plugs and they are black and sutty. Not oily, sutty. So now what? Running rich or what the hey?
mad.gif

Every time clean or replace the sparkplugs the bike starts up much better.
Can run a hotter plug to burn off the carbon build up. NGK CR9E is stock OEM plug. NGK CR8E is the hotter plug. The engine will run tad higher temp, not direction want to go in Hot outside temps.
Run some Fuel Injector cleaner gas treatment few times. Mainly to clean out carbon in the cylinders.
General tune up, snesor calibrations, Air filter cleaning. All help to improve starting.

How many miles do you have on the bike? What mods do you have? I have a similar problem with my bike. I've done a whole bunch of stuff to try and fix it and still it remains.

Here's what I've done:

New Battery
Adjusted TPS spot on
Adjusted Idle
Adjusted Fast Idle
Swapped Fuel Pumps
Swapped Air filters
Unplugged PC3r and plugged stock computer
I have a new map in the PC3r and the bike runs great except for the starting issue
Changed spark plugs
Ensured coil packs were on tight
I even have a different gas tank on the bike (so I don't think it's vapor lock)
checked for vacume leaks (split hoses and all capped lines were secure)

I still have starting issues. Sometimes it will just crank crank crank and finally fire other times it will fire right up. I'm going to try fuel injector cleaner and maybe pull my throttle bodies and attempt to clean them as well. Other than that I don't know what else to look for.

I've got 14,500 miles on her. K&N, small air box mod, Muzzy full exhaust, PCIIIR with Cheese map, dry shot and a few other trinkets and whatnots. Ran dead on when she was on the dyno. Still getting too much fuel on the low end from idle to around 2500 rpms. Maybe too much timing. I'm trying to get a hold of Johnny today and see what he thinks.

I talked with him about this before and he said it sounded like a vacume leak, but I couldn't find one. Maybe it's a 40th Ann. thing...lol. Let me know what you come up with.

Josh

You've already had most of the good suggestions, the only things I would add are:

What kind of riding do you do? Sit in traffic a lot? Ride with main beam on regularly/run accessories that might drain the battery?

Do you check your battery charge/have a battery tender?

Where do you buy your gas, and what octane do you use? Have you tried other grades/suppliers?

Hey I think I might have figured out my problem last night. I was looking at the throttle bodies when I had the airbox off and noticed that there is some black residue #### in the TB's right near the butterflies. I didn't have time to clean them out but plan on it this week. Last night I had I went to leave a store and just like always it didn't want to start, just kept cranking and cranking. At this point the residue in the TB's clicked in my head. I stopped the trying to start it and pulled the throttle three times so the butterflies would move, then i stopped and just tried to start it and it fired right up. Since then I've done that every time, moved the throttle a couple of times then started it and it has started up every time. I'm going to clean them out in the next couple of days and see what happens, also run some fuel injector cleaner through the tank. I'll let you know how it works out but I'm hoping that I figured it out.

Well, I ran her at the track Friday night and she ran like crap. 60' times way off. She's running rich like a mug. I'm gonna take her to Cooper performance and let them see if they can figure out where. Oh yeah, I did win fastest street bike on Friday night. Unbelievable considering I only went a 6.35. Good enough to take home the money and that's good enough for me.:D To see pics go to (because i don't know how to link it.) www.dmpdragway.com Click photos and then June 10th. Thanks for the help fellas.

Back