Engine Dying

jtarantino

Registered
Have a 2004 Busa Limited that has been dying when clutch engaged at idle. Happens at normal operating temperature. Bike is totally stock. Any ideas? Thanks.

when you say engaged do you mean pulling in the lever while in neutral or letting it our while in gear? If you mean letting it out, check your kickstand switch. Could be reporting it's down when in fact it is not.

Check your idle. It should be between 1200-1300 RPM to keep it from dying while coasting to a stop or pulling in the clutch, it's a common problem and you will probably have to adjust it regularly.
smile.gif

Same as what justintime2 said...!!

...and welcome to the board
biggrin.gif

when you say engaged do you mean pulling in the lever while in neutral or letting it our while in gear? If you mean letting it out, check your kickstand switch. Could be reporting it's down when in fact it is not.
When I pull the clutch lever in is when it dies. Not always but am noticing it much more now. Bike idles at around 800-1000 RPM's - Thanks for the reply!

Check your idle. It should be between 1200-1300 RPM to keep it from dying while coasting to a stop or pulling in the clutch, it's a common problem and you will probably have to adjust it regularly.
smile.gif
Thanks so much for replying. Started a while back but only occasionally - did not give it much thought until Saturday morning. Between my house and Road America track for the AMA Superbike races the bike died 6 times - always when the clutch is engaged (lever pulled in). Died 5 times on the way home and twice today. I did take note of the idle speed by observing the tach and it seems to be registering between 800 - 1000 RPM's. Take care.

You got good info here... Prop your tank up and adjust the idle speed knob at the right hand end of the throttle body assembly....

anything under 1100 RPM, the motor does NOT get sufficent oil to it..... this is bad.... i keep my idle up a little more (1500-1700 RPM) gives the bike a more ballsy sound. like cams or something.....
wink.gif
anyway, if you set it right at 1100, plan on adjusting it in a few months....the slightest things will throw it off..... top end runs on lonely roads for myself!
biggrin.gif

If you're careful, you don't even have to go through all the hassle of seat removal and raising the tank. Get your flashlight and a long standard screwdriver and you can just see the knurled idle adjust screw from between the frame and tank. Works for me.

Back