Another speedo hopping woe!

CCbusa05

Donating Member
Registered
This site rocks, I learned lots about my new busa before I even picked her up last Saturday. I'll properly introduce myself after I get a handle on this damn speedo hiccup (intermitent between 20 and 50 MPH). Anyway, I pray that I can resolve this problem myself because I dread having to take it back in to the dealer only to have my baby all screwed and scratched up. OK, I already removed that under-nose black fairing piece and felt for loose connections. I also checked the tightness on the speed sensor bolt (per other thread), all seems to be Ok. Now, my question is, inorder to check for loose bolts under the stator cover, do I have to remove the left fairing, coolant reservoir and shift linkage? I got down there with a flashlight and it appears that I do, ugh! Someone in one of the other two threads on this topic mentioned there being a trick or two to getting that cover off??
Any insight to this would surely be appreciated!!!
Thanks in advance,
Jim (Carson City, NV).

I've had the speedo hop on my '04 the first time out this spring. Did it for less than a block and never acted up again. I figure it was just something that needed to work itself out after sitting all winter.
The sensor works with the front sprocket, there's not much behind that cover you're talking about and the stator cover has nothing to do with it. About the only thing that could effect your speedo in that area is if you got a huge glob of dirt between your sprocket and the cover where the sensor mounts and that's highly unlikely.

I took my sprocket cover off a few weeks ago just to make sure there was no dirt accumulating back there from chain lube and to check the sprocket for wear. Since I'm constantly cleaning crud from the plastic chain guides I thought there would be a ton of dirt under there but much to my surprise it was nearly spotless.

Coolant bottle and shift lever take a few seconds to remove, scribe a mark on the lever and shaft so you get it back in the right place. Remove a few bolts and the cover is off. The clutch piston back there will slowly start to come out so keep an eye on it and push it back in with your thumb. If it pops out you'll be in trouble.

The same thing you are describing happened to me on my 03 1000. First the speedo would jump and then on and off. Finally took a sh*t and quit working all together. Turned out to be the bolt that holds the little wheel which the speedo sensor reads from backed out and ate a hole in my cover. A piece of the magnesium jammed right into the sensor. Supposedly a common problem for the 1000's. Anyway heres a pic to show you what it looked like. Hope this helps.
Picture005c.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll get to it in the morning and post results. At any rate, if I end up having to take her back to the dealer, she'll be "naked" so that no damage can be done to the fairing at least! What a nightmare, but damn, I love this bike!!

Turbo-Torch warned me: "The clutch piston back there will slowly start to come out so keep an eye on it and push it back in with your thumb. If it pops out you'll be in trouble." It happened, it popped out and clutch fluid spilled on the floor! Is there a special procedure for refill to prevent air in the line? And secondly, I swear I saw a quarter size spring pop out behind that dollar size rubber plunger that seals the fluid in (it sets within that speed sensor/stator cover that I removed looking for a loose sensor bolt. I'm just looking for a temporary fix at this ponit so that I can hopefully just drive the busa back to the dealer. I think I'm screwed good but good this time! At 60 years young, you'd think I would know better, eh?
Damn!

I think I posted on this subject before, the stator bolt is coming loose, when it does, it will crack the case, you'll be without speedo for a couple of weeks for the parts to come in, take it to the dealer ASAP!
rock.gif

Advice well taken nitrousjunkie; I've already made arrangements to take her in to the dealer first thing Tuesday AM! Needless to say I'll post the solution to the speedo hop problem, if in fact they can fix it!?

Back