1st & 2nd gear popping?

mr. muse

Registered
help! I've got an '03 Busa with about 8k miles on it and am having a problem with it popping in 1st & 2nd gear. It feels like chain slippage, but I changed the sprocket & chain, put a new clutch (w/ Brock's super mod kit). When I removed the old parts, there was no significant wear on either the sprockets or the clutch components (however I DID notice that the clutch spring bolts were very loose--finger tight). Replacing these parts have not solved the problem. Now to better explain the "popping," it feels like running over something like a stick, or piece of sheet metal under acceleration, where the tire would slip and then immediately hook up. I've heard that it could be something like the output shaft being bent or a tranny problem. I took the bike in to the dealer and they told me that it was probably not covered under warranty. Suzuki said there is nothing wrong with this bike and if it broke, it was probably due to abuse! Aproximately 4k of these miles are from 2-up riding. Would this be considered abuse? Does anyone have a clue what may be causing this problem?

im looking for advise also,but my (popping noise) is a little different from ur's but came right after a clutch replacement and new chain and sprockets....not to rewrite it but my post and problem is posted here under (2nd gear popping)...im still dazed and confused about mine!
sad.gif

<!--EDIT|skidmark
Reason for Edit: None given...|1116912881 -->

there was no significant wear on either the sprockets or the clutch components. . I've heard that it could be something like the output shaft being bent or a tranny problem. Suzuki said there is nothing wrong with this bike and if it broke, it was probably due to abuse! Aproximately 4k of these miles are from 2-up riding. Would this be considered abuse?
there would n't be any significant wear after 8K.

I doubt its a tranny issue.

Two up riding is not abuse,most of us ride a little easier 2up.

are you sure yer not just feeling the tire break loose a little.

Do the RPMs climb during this POPPING ?

there was no significant wear on either the sprockets or the clutch components. . I've heard that it could be something like the output shaft being bent or a tranny problem.  Suzuki said there is nothing wrong with this bike and if it broke, it was probably due to abuse! Aproximately 4k of these miles are from 2-up riding. Would this be considered abuse?
there would n't be any significant wear after 8K.

I doubt its a tranny issue.

Two up riding is not abuse,most of us ride a little easier 2up.

are you sure yer not just feeling the tire break loose a little.

Do the RPMs climb during this POPPING ?
There is a slight RPM increase during the "slip," but it is almost instantanious, just like skipping a tooth. At first i thought that it may be the tire spinning, but when riding two-up, I'm positive that it isn't the case. If anything the bike would wheelie, not spin the tire. I'm just wondering if the "dogs" for these two gears are worn.

of course, when I've ridden 2-up I've ridden pretty hard. Try keeping up with a GSXR750 in the twistys with a passenger! The front end has gotten pretty high on more than a few occasions. I'm sure that is why my chain wore out in about 8k miles.

I just got back from W.V. ridding in the mountains for the weekend and I started having the same problem. I didn't notice it in 1st gear only 2nd. I would be exiting the corner and thought is was breaking loose. Not the case, I next thought it was skipping a tooth. Either the shift fork is worn or the gears are worn. I am going to change the oil and look for metal. I have 10300 on the '03 ann. this sucks!

yeah, it sucks all right! I've got to ride this thing like a Gold-Wing until I get to 3rd, then she's all mine! Seriously, as far as i can tell, it may be a bent shift fork that caused the dogs to slip. Now I'll bet that the 1st and 2nd gears are toast!

yeah, it sucks all right! I've got to ride this thing like a Gold-Wing until I get to 3rd, then she's all mine! Seriously, as far as i can tell, it may be a bent shift fork that caused the dogs to slip. Now I'll bet that the 1st and 2nd gears are toast!
One of my closest friends father rides his Gold Wing with us on occasion. He rides longer wheelies than we do and the only thing keeping him from blasting past us in the corners are his foot pegs draggin across the pavement. This old man would put an inexperienced or even moderately experienced busa rider to shame in a road course. He even almost keeps up with my busa and his son's ZX12 up till around 120mph if we are just playing around and not in the throttle all the way.

As for the popping you are having, I had a loose chain when i purchased my busa new at the dealer. Didn't even bother to check it until it started to want to wheelie and had a popping sound and dropped out of a 2 inch power wheelie. Scared me, i thought i broke something and it ended up being the front sprocket jumping a tooth under hard accelleration. (Only happened in first and second gear.)

Thats why I don't let other folks ride my bikes....if you treat them right they'll last forever. If you abuse a tranny you can destroy a gearbox in a block
wow.gif
Even tho they're tough bikes you gotta use some common sense and finesse.....they're not indestructible.....
wink.gif

Back