02 limited--2nd gear popping

skidmark

Registered
recently (like in the last 5k miles i have started getting a wierd popping or cutting out sensation when rolling on the throttle.it starts at about 5k rpm's and does it all the way up to redline.it feels as if im slowly rolling on the throttle and popping the clutch at the same time (thats the best way to desrcibe it).the bike now has 22k miles on it.new clutch at 15k and has been ungoverned,airbox mod,k&n system,full yoshi,remapped and dyno..but this problem just came outta left field recently..several people feel it's a electronic problem or mapping problem.it only does it in 2nd gear.any word would be greatly appreciated.

i know this sounds obvious... but it's not the chain is it?

loose, and jumping teeth on the sprocket..

I don't really think thats it though cuz it would do it worse in first../ but hey.. check the obvious stuff first as they say.

thats exaclty what it feels like when ur riding,but no i checked it a couple of different ways (on the stand,riding,riding beside it).it does feel like the chain is just slipping over the front sprocket--and as i described up there,the best way to duplicate it is to picture riding and slowly rolling on it and at the same time just engaging the clutch in and out...but if it were the chain i was thinking it would do it in more gears..i'll double check it and thanks for posting up quickly.

update--my buddy lied and told me he checked it on the bikestand,,never did.i just did--put it in second and letter rip and it wont do it...i put it back on the ground and checked my chain and it was somewhat loose.tighted it and ran around the block and it still doing it.so this time i tighted the dog piss outta it and it seems to have lessoned the clunk---but it's still there..so im thinking maybe another new chain and sprocket..

update--my buddy lied and told me he checked it on the bikestand,,never did.
great buddy.

If the chain were jumping teeth , you'd know it.

I need better info. Yer getting "a wierd popping or cutting out SENSATION".

Is it, or is it not cutting out? You get on the throttle and?
What? Does it go faster or not?

You said it feels like yer popping the clutch ? So, is it slipping or are the revs climbing with no speed increase?

take yer time .... explain it a little better.

as before,normal driving and accelerating in 2nd gear the bike chugs at about 5k rpms and all the way up to redline (but only in 2nd gear)..its not missing out,it's still pulling when ur on the throttle.as i said before-the best way to duplicate it is to picture this and you'll know exactly what i feeling.accelerating off a street light and you shift n2 second gear and continue to accelerate (doesnt have to be a hard throttle twist) and when the rpm's get up around 5k and on up it feels just like if i were popping the clutch lever rapidly.i can duplicate the problem by doing that and that is the only way i know how to describe it.that is also exactly what it feels like also.lastnight i inspected the rear sprocket and all the teeth are there but there worn pretty bad,today i'll look at the front and see whats going on there and advise.this chain and sprocket set are o.e.m. equipment and are less than 5k old.-----i dont know...i explained it the best way possible so if you or anyone else have any idea's i would really appreciate info.

Someone didnt monitor the chain tightness, now the chain and sprockets are toast! Sorrg guy, time for a new drive set: front, rear, and a chain.:;):

why would it only do it in second gear though? and i dont have to dog it for it to do it,it does it under normal driving conditions.i got 17,000.00 miles out of my first chain and sprockets and that was racing the bike once a month at the qtr mile track so i think im a pretty good judge of how to maintain chain tention..BUT who knows-maybe ur right.i dont know but im am banging my head against the wall on this!! think i'll smack the old lady around and maybe it'll straighted out (or she will) j/k.thanks folks

why would it only do it in second gear though? and i dont have to dog it for it to do it,it does it under normal driving conditions.i got 17,000.00 miles out of my first chain and sprockets and that was racing the bike once a month at the qtr mile track so i think im a pretty good judge of how to maintain chain tention..BUT who knows-maybe ur right.i dont know but im am banging my head against the wall on this!! think i'll smack the old lady around and maybe it'll straighted out (or she will) j/k.thanks folks
I wouldnt reccomend smacking the "old lady" LOL! but i would take it to the dealer and have the transmission checked, My friends here tell me the 2nd gear is always the first to go, they are wheelie maniacs! NJ.

preciate the info,and yeah they are 2nd gear wheelie maniacs.and yeah i know better than to threathen the (old lady)!!!!!! she'll hide the key to my bike!!!!
sad.gif

Back