Banging Limiter

mzrsq

Busaless
Donating Member
Registered
I mentioned in KS's post about banging the Limiter in either first or second on 3 different occasions so far this season. After 2200 miles last season and never hitting it once in any gear, this year it appears to maybe be a problem. I'm not sure whether I'm just a little more aggressive on the throttle this spring as appossed to last year when she was new and I was getting used to her, or if its the sprocket change (43 rear) or what, but it just seems she's hitting redline a whole lot faster than last year and catching me just a bit off guard.

So now to the question, My neighbor at work who has a turbo Busa and I were talking today and I mentioned my embarrasement. He asked if I had bent something (can't remeber for sure what he said, carb/fuel related though), I said no, but how could you tell. He said the idle would be a little higher and a little rougher. Well........my idle is up a bit, but I assumed that to be from the Silkolene change and the idle does bounce just a bit but I can't remeber if it did this last year or not. I've only put about 200 miles on her so far this year with the silkolene and she seems to be running good and strong...............but at the same time, I know I've banged her 3 times this years.

So have any of you heard of such a thing? What are the possible side affects from hitting the Limiter? OR am I being overly concerned because of recent posts about engines seizing and all?

Thanks for any info guys?

I know I just need to be more careful!

It should be perfectly safe to hit the limiter, though id keep it to a minimum anyways.

I would keep an ear open for cam chain slap. It is a lot to ask of the tensioner/chain assembly to go from 10000 rpm crank / 5000 cam, to 1/2 that then back up to 10k then back then back up with no ill efects. Just my 2 cents worth.

its relatively safe to do so under load, but I wouldn't do it in neutral too many times.

It's not a good idea to hittin' it on a regular basis....(the REV limiter)
tounge.gif
your getting to it quicker because of the gear change.

Like others said it is not good to hit it all the time but it is there to protect the engine and as long as it is working I would say your fine.They do Dyno runs until it hits the limiter with no ill affects.

Thanks guys, I hope to not be making a habit of it, just gotta get use to it. Like I said, I never hit it last year, but for some reason this year whether it's the gear change or just wrapping the throttle a little harder and further, that limiter comes on pretty quick.

Appreciate your feedbacks.

you dont want to ever do it really... its there as a safe guard.

There is no value in reaching it...

if yer a drag racer that keeps hitting it, yer gonna lose the race. Yer opponant will be under power, while yer fallin' back havin' turned the furnace off.

if yer a street racer even worse... yer opponant will be half a block away by the time yers re-ignites...

and as Glama-man suggested (I like that guy, I think he's plenty smart) it doesn't do the motor much good anyway.

I've left my latest dyno sheet at work but.... it showed how the ponies peaked well before the limiter clicked in. So why bother doing it...

and to put yer mind at ease... I've hit it a few times...

no worries man...

hav a safe 1...RSD

Thanks RSD, I little scolding form you and then an A-OK at the end makes me feel alot better. Trust me, I'm not trying to hit it, it just happened, and I'm neither drag racing or street racing, just having fun.........ya know, letting her breathe a little.
tounge.gif

Dude I live by the rev limiter... How the hell else are ya supposed to know when to shift?
laugh.gif

Seriously though, I hit the rev limiter in the first three gears at pretty frequently, I guess I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the speed with which the Busa revs...

No worries though man, the limiter is there for a reason and that is to prevent damage.

Dude I live by the rev limiter...  How the hell else are ya supposed to know when to shift?  
laugh.gif

Seriously though, I hit the rev limiter in the first three gears at pretty frequently, I guess I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the speed with which the Busa revs...  

No worries though man, the limiter is there for a reason and that is to prevent damage.
Thanks Rev, Now ya going to supply me with all the replacement parts when she blows up.

I swear, Rev said it was OK to do it!

jump9.gif

Back