I need help and advice...

Fast in Phoenix

Registered
the last day of sub 90 degree weather here in PHX for 5 months, so I decide to take a ride...roll up to a fantastic open intersection and lay her over and nail it (in first). About 9-10k, I am getting ready to stand her up and go to 2nd, so I move my foot to get under the shift peg...it hits the ground and bounces up into the peg---BAMN, neutral. Suzy revs to the moon (does the rev limiter work in neutral??) I immediately chop throttle and stand up. Everything sounds OK...so I clip her into 2nd and roll on (slowly) nothing unusual, so I roll through the gears until I get to a stoplight. As soon as I stop, she dies. I push the starter and she cranks right up so I continue (at a more sedate pace). Next light, same thing...except she doesn't start again. It sounds like the starter catches but doesn't spin. I thought low batt...but it's not (tried new one, same thing). The oil level is between low and high in the glass...but after an hour messing with her (while waiting for tow truck) the oil light comes on. It was not on at any time before this. I've never dealt with a seized engine before...what am I looking at, price and maintenance wise? Oh wise ones, please help!!!

rock.gif
That's one helluva question.

was it smoking? or did you hear any knocking? when i siezed my car it knocked before it cut off. And i hand an idiot guy trying to show how loud his new microns were...a-hole drained the bike and installed the pipes but didnt put anyoil back into it
wink.gif
. Same thing engine smoking. His fix was about 1400 bucks but i think it was a ghetto fix casue his bike leaked everytime we went out. Hope its not a locked up engine though. I think neutral is an unrestriced map as well so you may be screwed because of that though

Thanks for help, him.
beerchug.gif

No smoking, no knocking...it died just like I hit the kill switch. I thought dead batt because when I tried to crank, the dash seems to lose power when I push the starter button and the needles cycle. I also hear a high pitched whine (like fuel pump, but higher pitch) from the tail end of the bike. I am extremely mechanically ignorant, but could the regulator cause something like this? I was going through other posts and came upon similar prob that was caused by that-I'm hoping...I'm going to tear her apart tomorrow and see what I can figure out.
cussing.gif
guns.gif

If you are not mechanically inclined but are willing to learn my first suggestion is to purchase either a Haynes or a Clymer manual for your bike and sit down and read it before you put a screwdirver to your machine. These manuals are written in such a manner that the novice can usually diagnose and repair what is wrong.

good luck man working on the busas not too hard. i think its a lot easier than crawling around under my car and the knowledge base here is so vast if you do screw up someone will be able to help you out

Limiter works in neutral. The engine is no worse for wear. But the stall sounds familar. During a Parade we pluged along at walking speed. The lights and radiator fan cycling on/off. Revved the bike as part of the show. Blinkedtly, blink the engine stalls. Starts up then stalls. My guess battery got low, engines hot and a million and one sensors on the busa. Something acted up prombted by high reving. It's never did it again since. Maybe the next parade we'll watch the reving on low battery.:D

I've never dealt with a seized engine before...what am I looking at, price and maintenance wise? Oh wise ones, please help!!!
why dont you see if its nuked... then move on from there.

There's a cover(black) just in front of the clutch cover(black with the oil fill plug) that has a removable plug in the center. Its used for various things,installing chain tensioners,finding TDC,etc etc. Remove that plug,stick a socket on the nut within, an' see if she turns over by hand.
No sense in risking yer starter clutch gears or yer cases...

Back