Help...put scratches on swing arm

TulBusa

Donating Member
Registered
I noticed the other day that I put some scratches on both sides of the swing arm, right where the spools are for the rear stand.  I adjusted the stand for the R6 and it was not wide enough for the Busa, sucks.  Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? I don't feel very comfortable putting a grinder to it. Please help.
Thanks, Brian

<!--EDIT|TulBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115740875 -->

Depending on how deep the scratches are I would just recommend sanding them down....Just start with the rough stuff first to get the scratch down then work into the higher grit to smooth it out....Depending on the severity you may be able to start with a high grit...but if the scratch is deep go with something a little more course at the beginning....good luck....

if you sand it you might as well polish the whole arm. Dont think theres a way to remove scratrchs but if you sand it your gonna remove teh shid that protects the aluminum from teh elements t

Not to sound like an idiot, but what all is involved with polishing the swing arm? Thanks for the help.

It is a very tedious job that involves sanding for hours....start with rough/course stuff and eventually sand all the way up to 1500-2000 grit, then you finish it off with a polishing disc and some polishing compound or rouge....Not hard but VERY VERY time consuming....I think him has a good step by step, and if you do search there are a few different members that walk you through it....if I had the links I would send em....

If you decide not to polish and just sand the scratches out be sure to cover the area with a clear coat or some wax when you finish to potect from the elements....

all polishing is is rubbing sand paper on aluminum for hours and hours and hours and...well you get it and you want to take your time becasue any rushing you do will show up when youre done....if you do the swingarm youre gonna want to do the frame. so start with something small and see what kind of work it is

remove swingarm.
send to polishing shop.
drink beer,watch T.V.
go pick-up swingarm.
re-install.

trust me...

polished: frame
swing arm
exhaust cans
wheels
pillion peg brackets
pillion pegs