speedo no worko

BrutalBusa

Registered
Went for a short ride on my 04 Busa. The speedo stopped working. When i checked it out, The drive sprocket cover was broken. The pickup for the speedo is housed in the cover. It senses the rotation of a "special" washer bolted to the sprocket. That washer came loose and wedged against the cover, breaking it. The bike has 800 miles on it. Any similar issues from anyone else? I'm looking forward to the arguement the dealer will use to say it's somehow my fault. UPDATE: Just got back from the dealer. The parts are ordered, no problems. I'm always weary when it comes to warranty work. (unfounded worries this time). Should be fixed in a week or so once the new parts get here.
Thanks for the replies, Dan

<!--EDIT|BrutalBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115713345 -->

Thats what warranties are for....take it to the dealer it shouldn't be a problem to get it fixed.
wink.gif

Haven't heard of that happening very much. Hopefully, the dealer will be able to take care of it for you.

The very same thing happened to me, the dealer will fix it at no charge, the down side is they will have to order the cover,rotor,bolt, and sensor.

...Now how does something like that happen on a new bike with only 800 miles on it
rock.gif

Something to do with the mechanic who assembled the bike
rock.gif

rock.gif

my speedo no worko either
sad.gif
...when i turn the key on it moves but once it get goin it stays put..could it be my sensor at the sprocket?

my speedo no worko either  
sad.gif
...when i turn the key on it moves but once it get goin it stays put..could it be my sensor at the sprocket?
I'm about willing to bet that's exactly what the problem is...
so more than likely i just gotta replace it?
nah....test it first. Test and clean all the connections...etc.

have you done anything to the bike lately?

mods? cleaning?

we can walk ya thru the testing if ya want.

hav a well grounded 1...RSD

this is a common problem for those who have changed the front sprocket and failed to loctite and torque the sensor bolt. I suppose it was just an oversight on the line somehow...drag, dood!! Don't panic....the busa is normally fairly bulletproof.

If you stick to your guns the only way a dealership is going to be able to deny warranty work is if he can prove/you admit that the problem was caused by something you did or a part you installed.

yall thnk my whole speedo my be jacked up?
Like RSD said- check your connections and the harness before you buy anymore parts. Could be a bad speedo, but it could be many other things as well. Atleast you've probably ruled out the speed sensor. Ultimately, you should be able to spin the rear tire while on a swingarm stand and check for pulses at the instrument cluster connector. If you see pulses there, then your problem is in the cluster itself.

You can use an analog multi-meter set on a low scale. Checking the actual value is not as important as simply verifying there is a change. As you spin the wheel and the contact passes the speed sensor, the voltage should go hi/low. A digital meter will make this difficult to see. With an analog, you just have to watch for needle movement.

Back