Running Rich/Hard To start/Stumble @3-4K

foresteronw

Registered
I've been fighting this problem for a while now and can't seem to figure it out.

Problem 1:
The bike has been hard to start, it cranks cranks and cranks but won't turn over. If I crack the throttle it will fire up though. I have adjusted the TPS by using the "dealer mode" and adjusted both the idle and fast idle to within specs.

Problem 2:
The bike seems to stumble around 3 to 4K RPM's.

Problem 3:

The bike is running really rich. The end of the can is black, people that ride behind me say that it smells reall rich and when I rev it even standing still it will puff a small black/brown cloud (vary faint though).

Mods are as follows: Webb Cams, BDE GEN III, Short Stacks, BMC Race, TRE, Small Box Mod, and PC3r. Bike was custom mapped last year, I've put about 8000 miles on since the cam install and mapping. I have no error codes.

Any ideas?

Spark plugs
wink.gif
how many miles since you changed them
rock.gif

Well if it is custom mapped... and it was running good before, then I would also lean towards spark plugs!!

It sounds like the vacuum line is either off of or is split that goes from the throttle bodies to the IAP (Intake air Pressure Sensor), when this happens, the ECM thinks that the air pressure inside the throttle bodies equals the air pressure that is outside, i.e. WOT.

It sounds like the vacuum line is either off of or is split that goes from the throttle bodies to the IAP (Intake air Pressure Sensor), when this happens, the ECM thinks that the air pressure inside the throttle bodies equals the air pressure that is outside, i.e. WOT.
I'll take a look at that, would be nice if it was that easy.

take it to DaveO he is right by u
I want to try and fix this myself first, if I can't get anywhere I'll take it to an expert.

So today I pulled the air box and didn't find any broke/loose/chaffed/cut vacume hoses. A visual check showed nothing to be out of place or broken. I decided to check the spark plugs and found two coil packs (both on the right side, number 3 and 4) to be loose, not snapped in place. 1 and 2 were fine. I pulled the spark plugs and they looked fine but I think I'm going to replace them anyway.

Still had the airbox off and I was trying to figure out what the hell else it could be. I decided to take the TRE off and see what happened. The bike seems to start easier, but it could be in my head as well, but the stumble at 3 to 4K is 100% gone, I know this one is not in my head. The bike seems to run so much smoother now. I thought that the TRE smoothed the bike out not made it rougher.

o.k. it was a fluke, starting issues are back..lol.

I changed the spark plugs and it's still doing the same things as well.

Any other advice?

o.k. it was a fluke, starting issues are back..lol.

I changed the spark plugs and it's still doing the same things as well.  

Any other advice?
Bet you screwed up your map... Disconnect the PC completely and reconnect factory harness. See if the bike starts like it should. I have a feeling it will start fine without the PC...

Once you narrow the issue down to PC, you need to get the right map. Choose one that is closest to your setup and then use buttons on PC to fine tune... You can PM me for help if you like... ;)

I've got the custom map now. I have Webb cams installed so I can't get a map from the Dynojet sight about the only thing I can do is get it from someone that has similar mods. There is a guy at SH.org that is going to compair his map to the one I had on my PC tonight (similar mods) and see if there are any MAJOR differences. I know it's going to change for climate and all that but we'll see what happens with that.

I thought that the TRE smoothed the bike out not made it rougher.
actually , the tre tricks the brain box into thinking its in fifth gear all the time. So yer actually getting the fuel level for fifth , even thou yer in neutral...

tried the tre on the last 3 bikes I've had busa,2001gix,another gix. Didn't like it.

Mods are as follows: Webb Cams, BDE GEN III, Short Stacks, BMC Race, TRE, Small Box Mod, and PC3r.  Bike was custom mapped last year, I've put about 8000 miles on since the cam install and mapping.  I have no error codes.

Any ideas?
you could crank out some serious HP with a pro's custom map.

Seriously man...if you've dropped all that jack into, why are you fuggin' with emailed maps.

Yer neighbour could have the same bike , same mods, but yer maps will vary....

RSD.

O.k., so lets see what I've tried so far.

Spark Plugs
Adjust Idle
Adjust fast idle
Adjust TPS
Checked all vacume lines
Checked all electrical connections
Removed TRE
Tried Stock Clean airfilter
New Fuel Pump (had one figured I would give it a shot)
Verified Custom Map was loaded
Tried starting with only bike computer (no power commander)
Replaced Battery

None of this has helped. It seemed like removing the TRE helped, but it didn't. Someone is taking a look at my map to see if there is anything there that might be causing it.

Could the coil packs be causing this at all? If they were weak or something and not sparking the fuel? If they could be the cause how can I test them?

Other than that my I can't think of anything else to look at. Any ideas?

did you set the TPS on the PC3R?
and no email from ya yet
I sent the email like 5 minutes after you told me to, I'll try it again when I go home for lunch today.

To be honest I have no idea how to make adjustments on the PC3R as far as the TPS goes. The only thing I've done with the TPS was set it using the method in the manual (with the three bar level on the gauge cluster).

Mods are as follows: Webb Cams, BDE GEN III, Short Stacks, BMC Race, TRE, Small Box Mod, and PC3r.  Bike was custom mapped last year, I've put about 8000 miles on since the cam install and mapping.  I have no error codes.

Any ideas?

Seriously man...if you've dropped all that jack into, why are you fuggin' with emailed maps.

RSD.
The bike WAS custom mapped with these mods, not an emailed versioin. What I'm trying to figure out is what has changed and that is why I'm trying different maps now to see if I can find the problem.

Any ideas?

RSD.
The bike WAS custom mapped with these mods, not an emailed versioin.  What I'm trying to figure out is what has changed and that is why I'm trying different maps now to see if I can find the problem.
ok

Back