what broke and how much $?

ssvincels1

Registered
Technically it hasn't broke yet but somethings gotta happen.
The bike is an 05 with 1800 miles, changed oil at 500 and 1100 miles.
Here goes, i have taken the bike to the track twice lately wth no problems.
This week it started to skip while in second gear under FULL throttle. I make the 1-2 shift and about one or two seconds later it skips( almost like when you dont get it all the way in second and it pops out, i have done that a couple times). it doesn't pop out of gear though. i shift without the clutch when i race.

Any ideas?

Shift fork and 2nd gear...If your cool with your dealer warranty will cover...Suzuki is gonna holla abuse but a good dealer will hook you up...About 8 hrs charged for labor and roughly 200 for the for and gears those are rough numbers...Warranty covered mine and the bike was 2 yrs old...Good luck...

rock.gif

thanks for the replys

any special tools required? Would the manual be good enough to get me through this, or should i take it somewhere?

Just dig in man!
smile.gif

j/k of course! Man you best not try yourself unless you have some experience.

Shift fork and 2nd gear...If your cool with your dealer warranty will cover...Suzuki is gonna holla abuse but a good dealer will hook you up...About 8 hrs charged for labor and roughly 200 for the for and gears those are rough numbers...Warranty covered mine and the bike was 2 yrs old...Good luck...
Do you have an extended warranty or did they make an exception or something?

I would go for the warranty...you don't need to tell them where and how this problem happened...just call em up say you think there may be an issue with the bike and explain it....and here are a list of words not to bring up (race, drag, track, wheelies, burn out, running from cops, etc)....Just be vague and let them figure it out....

You only need to tell them what is wrong not how it happened...and hopefully it is covered...I never go for the extended on bikes but did on this one because I got them to reduce the price on it and I knew this may get expensive to fix....so I put on the 4 year extended....and now I have no worries....

Technically it hasn't broke yet but somethings gotta happen.
The bike is an 05 with 1800 miles, changed oil at 500 and 1100 miles.
Here goes, i have taken the bike to the track twice lately wth no problems.
This week it started to skip while in second gear under FULL throttle. I make the 1-2 shift and about one or two seconds later it skips( almost like when you dont get it all the way in second and it pops out, i have done that a couple times). it doesn't pop out of gear though. i shift without the clutch when i race.

Any ideas?
2nd gears getting ready to take a vacation
wow.gif
not a job you wanna try yourself unless you've split cases on a bike or 2 before. You've gotta watch your shifting when dragracing /running a bike hard. The first to second shift is the most crucial cause' of the neutral gap. You can race a bike forever without tranny trubs or you can break it first thing...its all about the shift. gl
wink.gif

had the same thing happen to my v-max which is notorious for killing second gear.
mine started with the second gear skip. almost like u hit a wet spot in the road, u first think that the back tire is breaking loose for a split second, then after while it pops out of second back into first.
my v-max cause was the shift drum.. i replaced the whole thing tho.
good luck and definatly TRY to get the dealer to fix it.
maybe started while on a doubled up trip across country with the wife or something.
later
Michael

Back