Speedo problem

Pipefighter248

Donating Member
Registered
Installed the HID kit yesterday and noticed test riding that the speedo will jump up and down everynow and then. It did not do this before installing the HID, so I figured it might be the batt. was low, so I left the tender on it all night. Just got back from a ride and it is still doing it.
What's my problem?

Check the cover where the speedo sensor bolts on the cover down by the lower left fairing. If loose it will cause readings to bounce!
smile.gif

Will do.
I remember hearing that now. I just had the cover off a couple weeks ago changing sprockets back.
Thanks.
beerchug.gif

Is this what you are talking about for sure with the one bolt?
If so I tightened it a little and took around the block, still did not help.

100_0765.JPG

Installed the HID kit yesterday and noticed test riding that the speedo will jump up and down everynow and then. It did not do this before installing the HID, so I figured it might be the batt. was low, so I left the tender on it all night. Just got back from a ride and it is still doing it.
What's my problem?
Nathan, Pull the connector off the back of the cluster, then put it back, sometimes dust gets in there and causes funny shid like that. NJ.

Yes but make sure the bolts that hold the cover that it bolts to are tight as well. I would make sure that your harness if fully plugged in behind the speedo too. That is a pain to get to though you may be able to it by removing the under nose tray and reach up to feel it.

One more thing. Make sure there is nothing going on with the speedo sensor molex plug where the Speedohealer was installed!
smile.gif

Well, speedo needle is still jumping. Have all plastics off including nose. So that means HID has no power going to it. So that rules out possible frequency interference.
Noticed while bike was sitting and letting warm up. Does it now while idling while bike is not moving.
Checked all connections, blew out plugs on back of speedo, checked where sh was, check tightness of all bolts on sprocket cover.
1zhelp.gif

Maybe the problem is with the Speedohealer. I just got a Speedohealer on my bike and the speedometer has been very erratic since it went on. Sometimes it works great and is accurate (measured against a gps) and sometimes the speedometer doesn't register at all. It seems to be worst on cold days when it's in the 40's or 50's. Does anyone have a Speedohealer that works all the time?

Speedohealer has been off the bike for about a month.
As far as the hid goes. I had my nose section off, which meant I unplugged all of the connections going to it so it had no power. I started it up to let it run, and sitting there idling it still surged.

Back