Trouble on initial start up, fine after second try

Furball

Registered
Well I am not sure exactly what is up with this, but if my bike sits overnight or for an extended time...when I go to start it up the first time it runs rough for a few seconds then stalls....then when I hit the starter the 2nd time it starts up runs rough for a second and then is fine....I have the choke on like always, but just wondered what would possibly cause this....

I had an R6 that did a similar thing but it was not injected....Could I have gotten some bad gas?
rock.gif
I ran low already and filled up again and it is still doing it....anyone else out there ever have this happen....Not too concerned yet, but I wouldn't mind finding a cause for this soon....

Thanks in advance with any help you can give me....

How cold is it in the morning? My bike does it every blue moon so i just hit the fast idle switch and it works fine. i dont think anything is wrong with your bike but i could be wrong

My first suggestion is that their is coolant in one or more cylinders from sitting overnight. It is kinda of a pain the in the rear to verify. Pretty much you pull out the plugs the night before and watch for water vapor ejecting out of the plug holes on initial cranking.

<!--EDIT|Glamisman
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115471806 -->

My first suggestion is that their is coolant in one or more cylinders from sitting overnight. It is kinda of a pain the in the rear to verify. Pretty much you pull out the plugs the night before and watch for water vapor ejecting out of the plug holes on initial cranking.
you think its that critical G-Man? Coolant in the cumbustion chamber? from where? blown head gasket? cracked head or block?
would we see a little white smoke on start up?

Clean the Spark plugs every 2-3 k miles. Replace at 7k miles.
Run a few tanks of injector cleaner gas treatment fluid. Sync the ThrottleBody. Adjust the idle RPM, adjust the cold start lever(aka Choke lever) to run higher RPMs. Service manual has it set to 3.5 k rpms, But I can only get 2.5 k RPMs out of it.
Basic maintenance stuff. It's cleaned or new Sparkplugs notice biggest difference for starting.

I suggest you reset the TPS.

... also its quite natural for a cold busa engine to behave like that!!

Thanks for all the pointers....I think it may have been bad gas mainly because the last few times it wasn't nearly as bad...I am going to pull the plugs and clean them, they have 3300 miles on them....I also need to adjust choke...I only get around 2K RPM from it....my main idle is fine adjusted that a while back....

The first time I did notice though it was friggin snowing back about 2 weeks ago....but it also did it in high 40's and low 60's....but like I said, hasn't been too bad last few times....it is rough for about 5 seconds but never stalls....

Is it tough to sync the TB...I have just started to get into bike maintenance....all my life just tinkered with cars....and my occupation I work on jets....so this is all new to me, but seems to be much easier than the other two thus far...

Thanks again for all the hints....you guys and gals really know a great deal, and I am finally getting to that point slowly and steadily....Josh

The sync tool measures the vacuum pressure from each throttle. Adjust the idle screw on the first throttle. Move to the next throttle adjustment screw, adjust to match the vacuum level to the first throttle. Move to next throttle adjustment screw, adjust to match vacuum level of the 1st and 2nd throttle. Lastly move to next throttle adjusment screw to match it's level to the other three.
To access lifting the tank, pulling the airbox.
Know any Local riders in the area, they may have the sync tool. It's a tool hardly used. Once it's synced, They stay synced.
Syncing throttle body smooths out idle and low end RPMs. Helps some with off idle reving hesitation. It's a preformance issue, could go without syncing. At higher RPMs there is no effect to have it synced or not.

mine does it occasionally, I dont worry about it.

and btw its not a choke

its a fast idle adjuster

no different than winding the throttle on a little bit
does nothing to the fuel air mixture.

moX

The description of rough running/stalling on inital start up in the morning is very descriptive of coolant... it is just one thing to consider, if it isnt coolant, fantastic, move on to the next possible condition and check it. With out a logical diagnostic proceedure, you will just chase your tail and waste time.

Back