WTF, 05 busa engine just shuts off?

ssvincels1

Registered
I bought the bike new and since then have put a 1,000 miles on it w/no prolems. the last two weekends when i have approached a stop sign and downshifted to first the bike just dies (only has happended twice). starts right up afterwards.
any suggestions

Check your idle speed. Idle should be between 1100 and 1300 and if yours is low it will shut down.

Also you might want to relocate the IAT sensor from its present location to the left ram air tube (i think) I'm right on this one. The present location will give false data due to engine heat.Do a search on the board for IAT sensor mod.

thanks guys, yah the idle was below a thousand , i thought that was strange.
why would the idle change? it wasn't like that initially.

Sometimes the adjustment screw wiggles loose from the vibration, but you'd have to talk to one of the more mechanical folks for a more technical explanation.

<!--EDIT|BigBSBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113905574 -->

Check your idle speed.  Idle should be between 1100 and 1300 and if yours is low it will shut down.
wink.gif

Sorry for sounding stupid but can anyone tell me where the idle speed adjustment is?? My 05 is doint the same thing!!
biggrin.gif

ssvincels1~ no not yet, but getting ready to... I am working nights currently so it is hard to catch up with the guys on friday night, but a shift change is coming. So in the future it will be there!!

The idle screw on my '05 Busa has continued to back out since driving it off the dealers lot. Set it around 1200 rpm's and within 200 miles it's idling around 800 and stalling at the lights. Had it in the shop seven times now without success and the service manager knows me by first name and bank account number... Called Suzuki of America customer service and they claim "NO ONE HAS EVER REPORTED THIS TO OUR TECH HOT LINE BEFORE!" I find this hard to believe since there are hundreds of postings on this site. Service techs have tried stretching the idle screw spring for more tension, two types of locktite and various other 'fixes', but the damned thing just keeps backing down. I'm frustrated at an otherwise perfect bike. Any real fixes out there???

My O5' did the same......dealership gave me the bike w/ idle @ 800. This is way to low. I adjusted it, and now its perfect. Take the two front bolts off the tank being careful to retain rubber/metal washers.......take off the front seat, idle is right there on the rt side. 15-20 minute job. Good luck!

The idle screw on my '05 Busa has continued to back out since driving it off the dealers lot.  Set it around 1200 rpm's and within 200 miles it's idling around 800 and stalling at the lights.  Had it in the shop seven times now without success and the service manager knows me by first name and bank account number... Called Suzuki of America customer service and they claim "NO ONE HAS EVER REPORTED THIS TO OUR TECH HOT LINE BEFORE!"  I find this hard to believe since there are hundreds of postings on this site.  Service techs have tried stretching the idle screw spring for more tension, two types of locktite and various other 'fixes', but the damned thing just keeps backing down.  I'm frustrated at an otherwise perfect bike.  Any real fixes out there???
I find that hard to believe also...

One suggestion I've seen on the board is to use clear nail polish to glue the screw into position.

As a temporary fix when riding you can use the "choke" lever to raise the idle until you can get somwhere and adjust the screw.

Sounds like we may have a pending class action suit here if Suzuki is going to deny the problem exists. It's a potentially dangerous problem because you could drop/lose control of the bike when it stalls out.

Back