Things to look out for?

kaieiru

Registered
hiya all!
'm new to this board...

have gotten myself a 99 model with ard 44k miles on the odo... the shop has agreed to do a tensioner and timing chain replacement...

wonder wat other things do i need to look out for when collecting the bike ?

btw is it normal for this model to come with a headlight switch? or could it have been modded cuz i noticed that mine came with one...

Welcome to the board. The 99s had recalls on the cam chain tensioner and fuel pump. Make sure both have been done. The head light switch may be on your bike but here in the US they didn't come with one unless it is the flash to pass switch then they came with it last year.

Welcome to the board.  The 99s had recalls on the cam chain tensioner and fuel pump.  Make sure both have been done.  The head light switch may be on your bike but here in the US they didn't come with one unless it is the flash to pass switch then they came with it last year.
hi... thanks...

the shop has promised to change the tensioner along with the timing chain as part of the package... but for the fuel pump... it's not included... is there any signs prior to it's failure?

keeping my fingers crossed in the meanwhile that the previous owner has gotten it swapped...

blush.gif

golly,, thats about 20 rear tires.. hehe figure atleast 140 per.. thats.... damn near $3000 worth of rubber that beast has destroyed..

yowzaa. not to mention the fronts.. probably about a thou there.

golly,, thats about 20 rear tires.. hehe figure atleast 140 per.. thats.... damn near $3000 worth of rubber that beast has destroyed..

yowzaa.  not to mention the fronts.. probably about a thou there.
well...that's probably the only one tat i can afford given my current finances... would pretty much love to own a 05 model.. but too bad juz got to settle for this 99 model.. though i get to have a 05 paintjob along with the clear signal light covers... :p

Is it the Copper/Silver one? and how much are you paying? 44k is alot of miles,dont get me wrong, for the model,I guess its low, but I think it would be classed as high mileage.I know there are members here with very high mileage busas.I hope youre getting a good deal.NJ.:)

Be sure to ask if the cam chain replacement also includes the front and rear guides. These wear also and the front guide when worn will actually cause the camshafts to be retarted (opening the valves late). This happened on my 03 busa with 40k on the odometer. The first indication other than the noise from the sloppy chain was the inability of the motor to reach redline. As it got worse my redline got lower and lower (10,000 then 9,000, then 8,000 and so on).
Brad

I have a 99model. How would I tell if the fuel pump recall has been done? I am pretty sure the camchain has been done as its oilpressurised now.

On a note of things to look out for the 99models filters in the fuel pump crud up easily. If you got rough running low down its likely thats the problem. I cleaned mine not long ago they were awful after only 9000miles!!

Back