What am I doing wrong?

Pop

Prairie Rider
Donating Member
Registered
For some reason or another I am having a great deal of difficulty getting some "positive" gear shifting. The problem is prevelant between 5 to 6 gears. I do not know what I am doing wrong but I almost always happen to find that stupid neutral (false) between the gears. Is it my foot position or am I not shifting "hard" enough. Any tips? BTW the bike has 140 miles on her. Not broken in yet.

It is not uncommon to have false neutrals early on with the Busa.

Mine does that sometimes too. After an hour or so of riding, I think my toe gets tired and my shifts get sloppy. After it happens and I pay more attention to my shifts and it stops!! I'm in the process of lowering my pegs. Once that is complete, I'll probably have to ajust the shift and brake lever. I'm hoping that once my left leg is a little more comfortable, I'll have less sloppy shifting problems. It does seem odd to me that the transmission allows it to fall between both gears though. Having had many of them apart over the years I don't see how that's possible.

Make sure the shifter is adjusted to your foot properly. Mine was up so high Bigfoot could have shifted it. I adjusted it down, started shifting like I meant it, & everything got better!
cool.gif

Yep, positive shifts and perhaps lowering the shifter should fix it.

Also, lubricate the shifter links if they are dry.

its a common problem with new busas... perticularly between the 5th and 6th. dont worry about it, it generally sorts itself out by about 1500 to 2000 miles
biggrin.gif

Nothing wrong with the bike at all...Soft toe footwear, shift lever position and laziness...

I also came across this at first when I got her. After riding for awhile you learn exactly what you need to do to shift her properly, even though I still once in a great while miss.
smile.gif

Same here, i had 3 false neutrals between 5th and 6th only before 500 miles on the clock. After this, none at all so far. Just turned 1000 miles.

Mike

Silkolene oil or some other good synthetic, try some clutchless shifts and finally SHIFT like you mean it! I get them sometimes when I get tired and dont lift the toe like I should. oh well
rock.gif
cool.gif

In my limited experience...
I have found that thinner oil tends to be related to an increase in "false nuetrals".
Thicker oil has proven to reduce these.

my 2 cents:D

ive had my bike two days and ive prob done it three or four times already and killed the engine about that many too lol

Back