Sticky front brake piston

Wag

Evil Demon Busa Rider
Donating Member
Registered
Okay, first real problem with the '03.

If you click here on this fiche,

http://www.ocpowersports.com/fiche_s....eh=1625

then go to the "Front Brake Hose" section and look at part numbers 2 and 3. It brackets the whole piston cup set and boot.

Anyhoo, the problem is, lately, the piston doesn't come all the way back out after braking. Actual braking is still good but the lever has to be pulled in somewhat further and the handle feels "squishy" for lack of a better word.

Looking at the top of the piston where the brake lever pushes in on it, you can see that after braking, the piston doesn't come all the way back out to where it belongs. Needless to say, the brake light stays on too. After a little riding, it will work itself back out to the right position until the next time I need the front brakes.

I initially thought, "Hey! That's must be a good way to tell when your brake pads are getting low!" Wrong. The pads still have a good 35 to 40% left on 'em, ergo another 4,500 miles or so. The fluid in the master cylinder is plenty full, too.

I sprayed some silicon lube over the little rubber boot and worked it in the crevices as best I could and that seems to have helped a little bit for the moment.

Anyone else ever have this problem? I hate to have to rebuild it if I don't have to.

--Wag--

Had that problem with a rear brake caliper once, caused by corrosion. Had to take the unit apart and clean it.

same thing happened to my clutch lever thought the clutch was shot after only 4000 miles(lot of launches at the track)
order a clutch and heavy duty springs before they got here i noticed clutch piston coming out of master cylinder sticking sprayed up with wd40 problem went away

same thing happened to my clutch lever thought the clutch was shot after only 4000 miles(lot of launches at the track)
order a clutch and heavy duty springs before they got here i noticed clutch piston coming out of master cylinder sticking sprayed up with wd40 problem went away
I would prefer to use WD-40 but I didn't know if it would eat away that little rubber boot.

Gotta go jump on their web site and see if it's safe for use on rubber.

(I know you're thinkin' it! Go ahead. I dare ya to say it!)

--Wag--

Actually, I just noticed my brakes seemed to be dragging this past Saturday, the disc is even slightly discolored. I figured it was the HH's and hard riding.. Guess I have plans tonight. :o)

Mine is also on the right side...even though my SS lines run directly to each side, the right one is the one dragging...interesting...

Mine is also on the right side...even though my SS lines run directly to each side, the right one is the one dragging...interesting...
I may not have been clear. It isn't the slave piston on the caliper that's dragging, it's the plunger/piston under the master cylinder on the handlebar.

Just to clarify and in case the link up there isn't working.

--Wag--

Back