Calling Gearheads

busa_boy_69

Registered
This is not about a Busa but rather a cbr1000rr that has me confused. A buddy of mine has a 04 1000rr. It only has like 2,000 miles on it. The first time it went to the shop a few months ago he found out that he had a broken front sprocket. This did not surprise me because as we were riding around last summer he was letting his chain get WAY too loose. I mean to where when I was beside him I could hear it rattling and see it bouncing up and down. Well when he had it in the shop I told him he needed to keep an eye on his adjustments and I recommended he replace his chain with a new x-ring chain while the old one was trashed. I put a DID xring on my busa last october and it is wearing incredibly good. My factory Zuk chain was streched like a Mo Fugger in like 5,500 miles. I have put 2,500 miles on this chain and it is just now needing adjusted. I figured this would solve his issue of his chain needing adjusted so often. However, he has only put 250 miles on his chain and it needs adjusted for a second time already. I was just wondering if the CBR has a rep for eating chains up or is it something he is doing riding possibly. Just need some help from some people familiar with the CBR cuz yesterday he showed this to me and I am at a loss. Thanks ahead of time.

Is the new replacement an OEM sprocket ?

I've seen aftermarket sprockets w/o the correct offset before is why I ask .

Just bikes/parts in general and not specific to the Honda

This might be too obvious but how does the rear sprocket look? The original loose chain might have taken a toll on it as well. Early adjustments are not uncommon, but two in 250 miles is disturbing, if they are done correctly.

<!--EDIT|Red05
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113143925 -->

A brand new chain can stretch up to 40% initially depending on riding style and hp. My chain needed adjustment every few hundred miles at first, but its pretty good now @ 8,500 miles.

A brand new chain can stretch up to 40% initially depending on riding style and hp. My chain needed adjustment every few hundred miles at first, but its pretty good now @ 8,500 miles.
Well his riding style is pretty aggressive but I don't think it's more than mine. I have rode my bike hard and that x-ring chain just does not seem to be stretching. His on the other hand is definately needing adjustments and its the same type chain I have. I know the busa motor throws the chain a lot more torque than the cbr does so I am definately confused on this one. I mean I know adjustments on a new chain are to be expected. But I did one after like 200 miles on the new chain and I am just now after 2500 miles needing to do another one.

I have a 1KRR and have over 6,000 miles on the original chain. I lube the chain almost every time I ride it and clean it every 500 miles. If he's doin' wheelies and burn outs its going to wear faster....if its adjusted too tight it will stretch faster.
rock.gif

I have a 1KRR and have over 6,000 miles on the original chain. I lube the chain almost every time I ride it and clean it every 500 miles. If he's doin' wheelies and burn outs its going to wear faster....if its adjusted too tight it will stretch faster.
rock.gif
I never did think to ask him how tight he is adjusting it to. I leave the slack in mine that Suzuki says to. If he isn't maybe that is the issue. I know he pops the occasional wheelie but not all the time. I have never really seen him doing burnouts though so he is not all that aggressive. I will ask him how much slack he is putting in it on adjustments when I talk to him and see.

... how do u adjust the chain? sorry for the "newbie" quesiton. i usually had that done 4 me when i took the R6 in under its 3 year warranty. but now, im doing everything on my own.

maybe the chain is not ajusted true. Pulliong to the left or right. Make sure you use a micrometer or ruler instead of the site lines.

Back