Wobble problem durng hard lean...

stevew

Registered
Had the Busa for a second season now...12,000 KM on it, just put 3rd back and 2nd front tire on 2 weeks ago.  Using BT014 Battlax front and rear.  I never noticed any real wobble at speeds in corners before today...happens when you lean very hard while riding fast through hard, short radius turns and once today for a second or two during a lane switch while crossing over the thin crack/line dividing the lanes.  I rode this bike hard last year and never noticed this before, in fact...she has been nothing less than perfectly stable, even at 300km/hr...Had an FJR1300 that I just sold a few weeks ago and it never did this before, no matter how hard she was pushed.  My R1 does it but to a much lesser degree and I expected that on the R1 anyway.  Checked the rear axle adjusters and they are identical, tire pressure at 34 back and front wheels feel well balanced and yet in all the milage I did last year, I never had this happen before.  Wheels look perfect, no bends or dings, bike's never gone down.  Most of the day today at speeds even around 260 or so, she was perfectly stable.  I know if I bring it to the dealer, they'll tell me nothing is wrong and that it's normal.  HELP !!!

34 psi is too low... should be 42 front and rear, solo or 2 up. I'd start there. the bike should be rock solid in the corners...

Had the Busa for a second season now...12,000 KM on it, just put 3rd back and 2nd front tire on 2 weeks ago.  Using BT014 Battlax front and rear.  I never noticed any real wobble at speeds in corners before today...happens when you lean very hard while riding fast through hard, short radius turns and once today for a second or two during a lane switch while crossing over the thin crack/line dividing the lanes.  I rode this bike hard last year and never noticed this before, in fact...she has been nothing less than perfectly stable, even at 300km/hr...Had an FJR1300 that I just sold a few weeks ago and it never did this before, no matter how hard she was pushed.  My R1 does it but to a much lesser degree and I expected that on the R1 anyway.  Checked the rear axle adjusters and they are identical, tire pressure at 34 back and front wheels feel well balanced and yet in all the milage I did last year, I never had this happen before.  Wheels look perfect, no bends or dings, bike's never gone down.  Most of the day today at speeds even around 260 or so, she was perfectly stable.  I know if I bring it to the dealer, they'll tell me nothing is wrong and that it's normal.  HELP !!!
Sounds like your front wheel isn't mounted correctly. Raise the front of the bike off the ground and try to jiggle the front wheel left to right and up and down, if it jiggles, take it back to where they put the tires on and tell them to fix it.

Kevin

Sounds like your front wheel isn't mounted correctly. Raise the front of the bike off the ground and try to jiggle the front wheel left to right and up and down, if it jiggles, take it back to where they put the tires on and tell them to fix it.

Kevin
How could they screw up the mounting of the front wheel?

Did you install the wheels on the bike or did the tire shop? I run 36psi front and rear.

I would take it back and have them check that all the spacers are installed properly and the axles are centered and tight.

Do not run Bridgstones or Dunlops on these bikes guys..Only run Avons or Michilens..Its the tires..IMO

I have 014`s on mine with about 1000 miles on them and my new Pilots will be here today..

<!--EDIT|Lloyd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113222496 -->

Do not run Bridgstones or Dunlops on these bikes guys..Only run Avons or Michilens..Its the tires..IMO

I have 014`s on mine with about 1000 miles on them and my new Pilots will be here today..
You are aware that the OEM tire on this bike in 04 is a Bridgestone BT056 right?  I never has any issues with Bridgeston tires to date on this bike.  I am not convinced it is the tires in general either; but perhaps a defective or out of round tire, or a poorly balanced one at that.  I am going this week to the shop that installed them and will check for wheel and tire issues before anything else, as well as the installation of the wheels to make sure that the spacers are correctly placed front and back.

Depends what you want handling or wear. BT's 14 are a softer tire but very good for handling not great for wear. Mich & Metz a very good. Pirelli'sare also very soft and do not get long life. Long ungoing debate.

Kevin
How could they screw up the mounting of the front wheel?
BA Busa mentions spacers, I haven't had my front wheel off so I'm not sure on the busa but on my old bike you could mount the wheel and not have the axle nut tightened enough and it would allow the wheel to move left to right.

Kevin

If the tire and the wheel check out, I'd also look at steering damper, front forks for leaks/damage, and play in the steering bearings.

Thanks much people...now that I have come clue as to where to look, I believe I will find the problem due to many of your opinions! There is a wealth of information here and it's nice to have somewhere to go when in need of help! I will keep you all posted once I nail it down this week!

Back