Hit a BIG hole on Sunday

moondog

Donating Member
Registered
Out railing in the country on Sunday, came out of a corner about sixty and BOOM!!! This hole was three feet across and about 6" deep...front end was light enough to skip across and barely catch the far edge. The front popped up a bit and the rear wheel hit square and deep, bucking the busa up like a rodeo bull. I thought I was road kill but got control and didn't go down which was amazing because the front and rear where going different directions. After cleaning my under-roo's, I inspected the bike, seeing no apparant damage. I thought the front took most the hit, didn't really look at the back ...until later. On the way home, I saw three busa's along side the road and stopped to chat. One guy was looking at my busa, said holy s**t what happened to your back wheel....the rim on the left side is curled up!! For the second time that day, my life flashes before me as the busa had seen 150+ a few times AFTER the hole. Try to clean shorts again, just throw them in the bushes. All this to ask a simple question...I found a wheel, 300 miles on it...no problem. However, I started thinking about the tire, bearings, shock and swingarm tube. The tire looks ok, just scuffed. I would think any belt damage would result in some vibration, there is none. I know the swingarm tubes are prone to cracking, do you think I need to pull it all down and inspect everything? Mind you, the bike handles and rides no different. Alot of work but I need piece of mind cause I ride this thing hard...your opinions, please!!

umm damn, same thing just happened to me, luckily I didn't damage anything.. The FI light started flashing though...it was a real hard shock on the front.
It wouldn't hurt to pull everything apart and check for cracks though, just for a peice of mind.

Inspect the tire very closely, maybe there are some broken belt, whichwill cause tire seperation! Very dangerous!
rock.gif

sorry to hear about your rim but at least that's all that got damaged.

At the very least, I'm going with a new (used) wheel, tire and bearing kit. The local shop seems to think everything else will be ok, said they have seen busa's take waaaayy worse shots and be ok. They said the wheels are so light it is not hard to curl up a lip. I feel better already. Well, so much for the new jacket and gloves I was saving for......
mad.gif

Out railing in the country on Sunday, came out of a corner about sixty and BOOM!!! This hole was three feet across and about 6" deep...front end was light enough to skip across and barely catch the far edge. The front popped up a bit and the rear wheel hit square and deep, bucking the busa up like a rodeo bull. I thought I was road kill but got control and didn't go down which was amazing because the front and rear where going different directions. After cleaning my under-roo's, I inspected the bike, seeing no apparant damage. I thought the front took most the hit, didn't really look at the back ...until later. On the way home, I saw three busa's  along side the road and stopped to chat. One guy was looking at my busa, said holy s**t what happened to your back wheel....the rim on the left side is curled up!! For the second time that day, my life flashes before me as the busa had seen 150+ a few times AFTER the hole. Try to clean shorts again, just throw them in the bushes. All this to ask a simple question...I found a wheel, 300 miles on it...no problem. However, I started thinking about the tire, bearings, shock and swingarm tube. The tire looks ok, just scuffed. I would think any belt damage would result in some vibration, there is none. I know the swingarm tubes are prone to cracking, do you think I need to pull it all down and inspect everything? Mind you, the bike handles and rides no different. Alot of work but I need piece of mind cause I ride this thing hard...your opinions, please!!
The first time I read this, I thought it said three feet across and 6 feet deep, I thought, he didn't just skip across, he flew.

Not to hijack your thread or anything, but a few years ago I was in Honduras in a rain storm (the roads aren't the greatest). It was raining so hard you could only see a few cars ahead. There was an SUV in front of us that just disappeared into the earth, then suddenly lept upward. We swerved just in time to miss it. A giant hole had opened up in the road in front of us, the SUV drove right into it then shot strait up the other side. That was a sight like none I had seen before. He was probably driving about 45 mph.

Kev

<!--EDIT|Kevin Kesler
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112918874 -->

If the tire compressed far enough when hitting the edge of the hole to transfere damage to the rim you have creased the rubber. What is the price of new rubber compared to a high speed blow out and resulting mayhem? Play it safe.

Probably should replace the tire.....I can get a new sportec from the local guy for $123....but mine only has about 1k on it. I wonder, when I get it off, if I will be able to tell if there is any damage. The M1's are so plyable I would think a guy would be able to feel a damaged belt. Here I go thinking again....these are not "p" spec M1's, never have run the "p" spec tire mainly because the local shop carrys only standards. I wonder if the p would have helped?

Back