PROBLEM: Starting

MadMacLard

Registered
Hello Everyone,
                     I have been reading the forum for quite a while, and unfortunately my first post is not a happy one.

The problem is that I cannot start my '03 Busa when it is hot from riding. When it is cold in my garage (50°F), I can start it fine. I replaced the battery when I got it back on the road for this season about 2 weeks ago.

Possible solution? My buddy told me that it could be a corroded fuse, if so, I wouldn't know where to look.

Thanks for any help.

can't help you on this one...

welcome to the board

I used to live on the south shore of mtl (in Sainte-Julie)
where in Mtl are U?

good luck

Hello Everyone,
                     I have been reading the forum for quite a while, and unfortunately my first post is not a happy one.

The problem is that I cannot start my '03 Busa when it is hot from riding. When it is cold in my garage (50°F), I can start it fine. I replaced the battery when I got it back on the road for this season about 2 weeks ago.

Possible solution? My buddy told me that it could be a corroded fuse, if so, I wouldn't know where to look.

Thanks for any help.
Hey Mad, give us some more specicfics...like the mileage on your bike, how it runs normally, has it been outside alot/ridden in alot of rain? Sounds like a battery prob....even new batteries can be bad, also if your charging system is weak that new battery will act like an old weak one pretty quick. Test your new batt if you can...if its low you prolly have a bad charging sytem. Also, did you buy the battery already filled with acid? Once a battery is filled it starts to die...if its left on the shelf after being filled and never charged again for too long (it just takes months sometimes) it can go bad. Bike batteries are notorious for givng symptoms of other probs. Hope this helps
wink.gif

I use to have some battery probs(not starting when hot). But ever since I got the 235cca battery from schnitz, no problems at all.

Not saying thats your prob for sure, just that stock batteries seem to be weak sometimes.

I use to have the same kind of thing happen on my Chevy Pick-up. When it ran for a while the headers would heat up the starter and solenoid and when you try to restart it, it would basically not turn the motor over.

Is it possible on the Busa to have a similar situation where the heat is effecting the starter, not the battery?

Thanks for the replies, I'll try for a bit more info...

- The battery was charged fully before going into the bike (13.6v) it's a Yuasa.
- I haven't checked the plugs, I guess I'll have to figure it out, don't have the manual.
- The bike does not crank at all. I hit the starter and the display and guages go dead. Then when I release the button they light up again.
- The heat from the bike is normal if I ride for 15 minutes, nothing crazy.

Thanks!

To properly diagnose this you will need a multimeter and a friend. What you are looking for is voltage drops. Voltage drops are the way to check for internal resistance in a wire while it is under an electrical load...This is easier to watch someone do it than it is to explain.

1. Set your multimeter to the 2 VOLT or 3 VOLT DC scale.
2. Connect the red lead to the battery + side and the negative lead to the input side of the starter selinoid(same wire, battery to selinoid). It should read 0 volts.
3. Have your friend turn the key to the crank position and look at the multimeter scale. ANY reading over 1.5 volts DC is bad. If is shows .2 volts DC it is ok.
4. Move the leads to the connector on the starter and the connector on the OTHER side of the selinoid (same wire, selinoid to starter)
5. Have friend turn key to crank and read voltage. Same reading apply.
6. If the readings are above 1.5 volts, replace that cable.
7. If readings are ok, I would suspect internal problems in the starter.
8. If the meter shows a negative reading, you have the multimeter wires reversed... no big thing.

tell us what you find.

Back