Battery problem

Altec

Registered
Alright, so we're probably already established somewhere along the line that I'm an idiot, so we don't need to point that out again. Anyway, I took the bus out to fill 'er up and then came home and parked her in the garage like I always do. When I came out this morning to take her to work I found I left my key in the ignition and that I hadn't turned her off. Battery = DEAD.

Can I jump start it with my truck, or will that just blow the battery straight out of the frame?

Input appreciated!

Not recommended but you can do it. I can't remember why it's not recommended, I just remember years ago I was told by a mechanic (not that I can vouch for his intelligence) that it was a bad idea. The best thing is a tender.

Yu can, but dont have your truck running, or better yet, go get a jump box from auto zone, you just dont want an external charge going to your bike after start up.

I was told if you were going to jump it with a car, don't have the car running or you fry the ecu.

this needs to be verified, cuz i have done it many times before replacing the battery

To play it safe, if your going to use the truck to charge the battery. Let it charge the bike battery up to where you can get a reading wihtyour volt meter registering aleast 12v. Besure to disconnect your cables from your truck and bike before measure your output voltage from your bike battery.

If you have an 02 without an upgraded starter you'll diffinetly want to avoid trying to start her with a weak battery (Kick Back).  
cussing.gif

Ty

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112717724 -->

Buy a jump start,that s what i did,i did on my truck and i almost screw up my susuki savage,be safe.

Thanks for the info guys! I had a feeling using the truck wouldn't be the best idea.

<!--EDIT|Altec
Reason for Edit: None given...|1112731727 -->

I borrowed my brother-in-laws battery charger and threw it on for about 10 minutes and it started right up. I let it sit for an hour and it started right up again.

I guess the question I have at this point is, "is that enough?" Will I have problems later? Should I put it on the charger over night?

Not being very mechanically inclined about scooters I don't know if there is an alternator that will recharge the battery as I ride it? I'm a noob. I know.

The battery will last for little while, but not like new. They never seem to last as long once decharged.

Try a full charge. Check out the specs for that, can't remember, that will give a longer life.

I'm going to order a Tender today. She started right up this morning. Good thing too. It was a beautiful morning to ride to work
smile.gif

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Even though the two batteries are the same voltage, the cranking amps are different. That is why you want to have the car/truck turned off if jumpstarting your bike, to minimize the amperage flowing through. Sounds like you did the right thing though

Back