Rubb is gettin HOT

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
Rode today. Not too warm out.About 50 degree's. Didn't notice it till I pulled in at home.Temp gauge to the max,1 needle width from the death zone(the red). Shut bike down.Turned ignition back on,but did not start motor for obvious reasons. Should the fans not have come on and ran?
Seems to me they used to on my 3 previous Gen I's. This is my 2nd Gen II.(2009) This is gonna suck because I no longer have my own shop to work in. Start simple. A fuse perhaps? Do the fans share a circuit with anything else? Anybody remember? Next guess would be themostat?

Idea's guys...

Thanks,

Rubb.

yes the fans should have been on for sure! I agree check the fan circuit i think it has a relay on it as well....runa jumper to the fan see if it kicks on if not ya know fan bad if so then its electrical to fan

I had to change my thermostat a year ago. While I was at it I changed the one in my bike too (see what I did there?). I was having some other stuff done so it was minimal cost, about $100 or so. Apparently those go bad a lot as the service guy said he was doing a lot of them lately. I would still walk the problem back from the fans though.

What a fun day this should be. I have 2 hours to look at the Busa before going to the dentist.:banghead:
Just a cleaning.

Thought I'd start with coolant level then the fuse
then fan relay
then ECT engine coolant temp sensor
etc etc

Thanks guys,

Rubb.

So I pull both L and R fan fuses.Both are fine,I stick it back together. Flash up bike,bike warms to mid temp,and one minute later,both fans come on,bike does not over heat.:banghead: Some guys would see that as a good thing,me, I always want to know why it happened. Rubb can smell a car or bike over heating from 2 blocks away,so you would think I could smell an over heated motor that I happen to be sitting on.???

Now I'm wondeing if the fans did not come on yesterday,because the motor just wasn't that hot. Perhaps it is my guage (maybe the whole cluster) because I also have this issue right now:
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-...ime-display-my-dash-keeps-having-moments.html
Your thoughts gentlemen....

Rubb.

Well my clock is never right. It has never worked properly though from day one. Only thing you can really do is put a temp gauge on the coolant lines to see for sure. On the other hand gauges do stick from time to time.

You could run a hot wire to a dash switch for one fan that way you could turn it on whenever you want

So I pull both L and R fan fuses.Both are fine,I stick it back together. Flash up bike,bike warms to mid temp,and one minute later,both fans come on,bike does not over heat.:banghead: Some guys would see that as a good thing,me, I always want to know why it happened. Rubb can smell a car or bike over heating from 2 blocks away,so you would think I could smell an over heated motor that I happen to be sitting on.???

Now I'm wondeing if the fans did not come on yesterday,because the motor just wasn't that hot. Perhaps it is my guage (maybe the whole cluster) because I also have this issue right now:
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-...ime-display-my-dash-keeps-having-moments.html
Your thoughts gentlemen....

Rubb.

So you pulled both fuses - That might have cured your problem. Sometimes there is a little something built up on the connections and pulling
them out and putting them back in, is enough to make a better contact.

Keep an eye on it and you should know soon enough if the problem is solved or that was a fluke and the problem returns.

If it was cool out and you were riding at anything above 10 MPH I doubt the fans would need to be on. At least the fans on my '08 never run except when it sits and idles for a long time.

Make sure that the coolant level is full in the radiator, not just in the overflow bottle. The thermostat may have stuck and be due for replacement.

I have a 1st gen in a daily driver car with the temp sensor in the radiator.

Not long ago my engine was hot due to a hose leak, the gauge shown hot and the fan was not on. I was told later that the system likely spewed alot of water out and the sensor switch was surrounded with hot air and not hot water. So the sensor switch did not close.

Appears to have been a one-time-event. No problems since hose replacement and refill.

Thoughts?

20140503_164658.jpg

Back